Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Thank you Ray, how wide is the step "landing"
5.5" total with about 5" usable. The 1/2" difference is where the step gets partially covered by the curvature of the rocker panel above the step.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #62
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Peter at SMB told me they discontinued them.. but maybe not? I might need some of these, if they've worked out some of the reliability issues.
Well I'm in contact with them on about a yearly basis and last year they told me they were planning to give up on the van steps... Hum maybe they did a redesign. The picture in the previous post looks a bit different than mine. Last year I had planned to go back for a step tune-up cause I'm having some issues on mine. I will say Rockslide has great customer service, probably the best company I've ever dealt with. Hopefully I'll get back there this year.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #63

They have them on their website: SPORTSMOBILE STEP SLIDERS
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #64
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
They have them on their website: SPORTSMOBILE STEP SLIDERS
That's good. Hopefully Rockslide has done a few upgrades to them. I've had some issues which deal with the longer passenger step.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #65

I bought a pair of Iconic Automotive OEM style running boards for my SMB recently and could not install them because of all the stuff under the vehicle. The grey water tank, rear AC components, other various SMB add ons. How are you guys mounting these running boards with the motorhome stuff mounted in the way?

(https://www.amazon.com/Ionic-Automot.../dp/B01MZFSIA8)
MRR918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #66

Garage
Rockslider steps

In response to daveb about the Rockslide steps. I did have an issue with the longer step (passenger side).
We somewhat resolved it by removing the mid gas support lift but It still has a hesitation in the return position which I'm not happy with.
In any event Kevin Smith at Rockslide thought it best to use it for a while then get back to them and they will take it from there.
They are very accommodating, so we will see.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Hi. Just starting out on what's likely to be a set of slow ($) upgrades/conversions on my 2014 E350 RB. First order of business: running boards/nerf bars. My legs aren't as long as they need to be!

Since this vehicle is my daily driver, as well as a trailer-hauler, it'll see more time on the highway than the backroads, tho a 4WD conversion is planned.

I'm looking for ease of entry/exit in good and bad weather. I liked what I saw of the AMP powersteps, but the mfr tells me they don't make it for the E350 anymore. I was hoping to find a good, strong, easily-accessed set of steps that could still stay out of the way in snow and the occasional off-road bunch of rocks. I like the look of the Aluminess nerf bars, but am I right that they attach only to the body? Is that a solid feel when stepping?

I'd really like to hear what works on your van and why. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
I love the factory boards on my '08 wagon BUT i'm 2w drive, not lifted and old if I was 4wd, lifted and young I'd probably trash those OEM beauties.
FXRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #68

Regarding the Aluminess "nerf bars", unless you have a significant lift on your van i.e. 4" or more, you may be disappointed with ground clearance. I have only hit the ground 2x with my Agile TTB setup running 265 70 17s but both times it has been mid span on the aluminum nerf bars. I did ask Ramsey to keep the van as low as possible so perhaps this is my experience alone... The ride is awesome and I love the work they did.
No damage beyond a gentle upward arc in the passenger side but it is a constant concern for me in our rocky desert. Additionally I wish that mine had the diamond plate extended for the barn doors. I have added grip tape after a near disaster with my toddler slipping off the bar and getting his leg stuck between the tubing and rocker panel of the van. I also installed big front mud flaps as the desert clay tends to end up on top of the nerf bars and then gets tracked into the interior.
That said, there's no maintenance, no rust and the step makes getting in and out pretty easy.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #69

I put the Ionic OEM's on my rig and like them a lot. Brought down the step in height about 6" and it's a nice platform for the kids and dog. They look decent and help frame out my awesome van in black.

As MRR mentioned above, if you have batteries or tanks or whatever in that driver side void you may not be able to use the full length on that side. The brackets go up to the crossmembers and have hangers that screw in above the pinch weld. They make a shorty though for drivers side, I went full length both sides.

Not much protection, but these are very useful for my family including doggo.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:45 AM   #70

Bringing this thread back from the dead here...I was wondering if we could get long term updates from a few people.

Otter, how are the Luvernes doing? I assume they are built to last for the price they charge.

Flux or MRR918 could you give a long term update on the Ionic running boards. How are they holding up? Are they exposed to winter conditions? I know yours are OEM look, but I’m wondering if ionic makes a decent product. I’m considering these.

Also, does anybody have experience with the APG istep or the strangely similar (yet “stainless”) APS iboard?

I prefer a bright/polished/chrome look but the Onki referenced previously does not seem to be available any more.

Thanks!