Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #21

Garage
For what it's worth, my rear outer cargo door handle hasn't been working for about a year. Tried fixing with cable ends but didn't help. The handle bracket itself was fatigued. Last week on a road trip, the inner handle quit too. I got the door panels off last weekend when I got home and found that the cable jacket had fatigued/stretched a bit. My '97 has 436k miles on it so it's no wonder this stuff is worn out.

Ultimately, I ordered the dorman cables but then found some other aftermarket cables on ebay that are manufactured with metal ends. I'm pretty excited about these. They're only like $20 and should have them in a few days. I think they'll be a better option than the metal end mod. The replacement ends have worked well on my side cargo doors but not as well on the rear. Once I get them installed and see how the quality is, I'll let you guys know.

KICKYRIDE.COM - DIY remote start & security kits
mikewithered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:45 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewithered View Post
Ultimately, I ordered the dorman cables but then found some other aftermarket cables on ebay that are manufactured with metal ends. I'm pretty excited about these. They're only like $20 and should have them in a few days. I think they'll be a better option than the metal end mod. The replacement ends have worked well on my side cargo doors but not as well on the rear. Once I get them installed and see how the quality is, I'll let you guys know.
Please do update us on your progress and impressions with these new-design cables--more than a few of us would be very interested.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #23

Garage
Will do. The Dormans came in yesterday. The metal ones should arrive monday and I can do a side by side comparison and decide which is really the better option.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:09 AM   #24
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewithered View Post
Will do. The Dormans came in yesterday. The metal ones should arrive monday and I can do a side by side comparison and decide which is really the better option.
Good deal---thanks for the upcoming update!
Old 07-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #25

Garage
UPDATE:

I've received the metal cables. They look to be pretty well made. The lengths and cable throw distance matches the Dormans so that's a good start. Even better, there are double nuts on each end of these metal cables (like a throttle cable) so they have about 3/8" of adjustment which helps with older/slightly fatigued handles. I've had issues with throw distance on my '97 and have gotten creative with rigging solutions.

So, fitment is the only thing to worry about now other than lifespan operating under bent conditions. They are a little bulkier than the dormans but should be fine. I'll get some pics when I install. Stay tuned........again

Old 07-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #26

Do you have a link for the eBay ones? Thanks in advance if you do!
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #27

Garage
Oh yeah, definitely. https://www.ebay.com/itm/392035208100

Old 07-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #28

Garage
Thanks for posting, mine has been broken a couple months and i was getting ready to look today and perfect timing for this thread to pop up, haha.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #29

Sweet, thanks for the link.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:57 AM   #30
JWA

Nice looking cables-----I personally am not sure what to think of the double-nutted ferrules where the cables attach to the pull points of the latches and handles. Certainly not criticizing what seem to be very well made OE-length replacement cables but IF they are indeed OE length adjustment as afforded by that double nut arrangement shouldn't be necessary. Don't take this as anything more than an observation and small question why that's a feature of these cables?

Thanks again for posting your experience with these---they're permanently in my eBay Watch List!