Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

Door jamb switches?

One or more of my door jamb switches is behaving as if one of the doors is intermittently open. If I make a right turn, the dome light goes on, then off.

I tried using some CRC electrical contact cleaner, but no joy.

How in the heck do you get the jamb switches out of the jambs? I can take the kick panels off, but can't get my hand back behind the sheet metal to reach the switch from behind.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #2

Re: Door jamb switches?

On my 2000 they pop out from the front. Just slip in a thin screwdriver and they work right out then pop them back in when you are finished.
Skyl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #3

My passenger side rear door switch was not making sufficient contact to close most of the time. I ended up putting a bolt into the door facing the switch to make up the difference.

Driving down a trail, it (or perhaps others) will still flicker. Looking at the amount of daylight I can see through the door frames when the van is flexed over rough terrain, I don't think any switch really has a chance. I just flip the interior lights to the off position to deal with this.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

What make is this van---Ford, Chevy ????
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

'08 Ford. Skyl330 was right: They just pop off if you can get a thin screwdriver behind the edge.

The problem turned out to be not the front door switches at all -- I thought the wires had chafed and were shorting inside the bodywork. The side and rears were the culprit.

The side and rear doors just don't fit the openings that well, plus the body flexes a lot just making turns on pavement.

I glued a small rubber bumper to the point where switch contacts the frame. Easy to find since the paint was rubbed off down to the metal. The rubber pads are barely 1/16" thick. Worked like a charm.