Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2022, 01:37 PM   #11

I had a GMC Safari van (Chevy Astro) that would occasionally power door lock all 4 doors.

I really thought my kid's mom was just absentmindedly locking herself out on a regular basis, AAA, locksmith, multiple redundant sets of keys, etc, until it happened to me one day. It turns out both door wiring harnesses were old and brittle, and the act of closing the door would trigger the locks.

I would start with the switch, and go from there.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:23 AM   #12

Had this same problem with my 2005 e250 soon after I bought it. Previous owner had just had a Viper alarm and new radio system installed so I assumed that was the problem. So I took it to the installer the seller told me had done the work, (which was about an hour and half away from home), and had them check it out. They said they couldn't find out the issue so it must be some factory dohicky under the dash. they wanted a lot to fix it and would have to order the part so I would have to return the next week, and leave it a day or two.
I returned home and the next day took it to my local mechanic, (should have first), and he diagnosed a short, found the fraying wire in the rear door lock, (which had been tapped into by the Viper installer), and fixed it within three hours. really glad he found that.
Anyway, all that to say it sounds as if it could be a short. PIA to track down, unless you hire someone that knows what they are doing.
B1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:21 PM   #13

Same happened to mine and searched the old thread that I posted on hoping to see what I did to resolve it. Apparently I did nothing and it hasn't done it again since then. Maybe I washed the van?

Anyway, may be more info here to help you.

Good luck!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
My old E-350 van has a couple new problems that both appeared simultaneously:

The power door locks keep locking - like randomly once every second or two, while I'm driving around (but not while I'm stopped). No, nothing is leaning against any of the door lock buttons, including the weird one on the rear door.

Once in a while, this stops happening, and then: the audio (speakers) cuts out! The stock radio still seems to function normally -- just no sound comes out.

Anyone have a good idea of where I should start looking first?

You know I just can't wait to start crawling around deep in the guts of my van's wiring.

Speculation coupled with a few facts - the door locks and speakers share the path to driver, rider, and back doors.....So maybe look at the schematic to determine what causes the toggle, (control ground?), then start in those areas....Some radio (amps) circuit protection (speaker shorts to ground) shut down the power out.......Bon Chance!

Hmmmm....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:46 PM   #15

I have also experienced Starter battery "end of life" announcements begin with phantom door locking issues.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:48 PM   #16

2004 Van is not old... LOL.. You have a simply Ground issue.. Open the Drivers side door panel and start with the grounds and the Connectors that run to the Switches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
My old E-350 van has a couple new problems that both appeared simultaneously:

The power door locks keep locking - like randomly once every second or two, while I'm driving around (but not while I'm stopped). No, nothing is leaning against any of the door lock buttons, including the weird one on the rear door.

Once in a while, this stops happening, and then: the audio (speakers) cuts out! The stock radio still seems to function normally -- just no sound comes out.

Then later on the audio starts working again and the door locks resume their sporadic locking thing. This all kept happened for my entire multi-hour drive.

I figure it's a wire grounding issue, or moisture.

Anyone have a good idea of where I should start looking first?

You know I just can't wait to start crawling around deep in the guts of my van's wiring.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:30 PM   #17
DKL

Door lock problems.

Had a door lock problem on my 1999 E350 a few years ago. If my memory is correct my door locks, after locking, could be found unlocked later and I would also find the fuse for that circuit blown. Found water in the bottom of the passenger side rear door where the oddly placed door switch is found. Water was entering that door cavity faster than it would drain out when we had sustained heavy rains. Tried caulking around the rear door's windows but the problem was not resolved until I replaced the rear doors weather gaskets. Bought the replacement gaskets from a local Ford dealer. Not a cheap fix but the problem did not repeat once the gaskets were replaced.
DKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:25 PM   #18

I had the same issue with my 2003 E350 4X4 SMB which I added a viper doorlock and alarm system.
Disbaled the alarm and auto door locks ans no more problem.
Now I have to lock and unlock front doors manually after disconnecting the Viper systems.
Every thing is go except I must mannualy lock and unlock door locks
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:34 AM   #19

Locking and unlocking doors

I was camping in Oregon a few years ago in winter and it rained constantly. My locks kept locking and unlocking constantly.
I had Ford replace the locking devices. They said it is common to have that happen with a lot of moisture.
I started wearing my van key around my neck because the doors would lock.
Pete
Rapidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:43 PM   #20

Door lock gremlins

Similar issue with my '04 EB 50.
Found the pass. rear door switch had worked loose from connector. Checked continuity, cleaned contact pins, reinstalled. Lock cycling ceased immediately.
This may be a solution to the issue...checking ground connections is the next step.
Good luck
JeffO is offline   Reply With Quote