Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #1

Door locks keep locking over and over again

My old E-350 van has a couple new problems that both appeared simultaneously:

The power door locks keep locking - like randomly once every second or two, while I'm driving around (but not while I'm stopped). No, nothing is leaning against any of the door lock buttons, including the weird one on the rear door.

Once in a while, this stops happening, and then: the audio (speakers) cuts out! The stock radio still seems to function normally -- just no sound comes out.

Then later on the audio starts working again and the door locks resume their sporadic locking thing. This all kept happened for my entire multi-hour drive.

I figure it's a wire grounding issue, or moisture.

Anyone have a good idea of where I should start looking first?

You know I just can't wait to start crawling around deep in the guts of my van's wiring.

Old 03-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #2

NOTE: I was camping out in the rain when this all started, and I haven't checked again now that the van is dry. Maybe I should do that.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #3

Garage
Check your grounds for the door switches.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:59 PM   #4

Hhmm. No idea, but curious what the outcome is.
Sounds a bit like a loose contact or so.

Did you check the fuses under the steering wheel? I think audio as well as power door lock is placed there.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #5

Do you have an SMB interior? On many vans they hide the rear door power lock switch inside the rear door cavity and it can do phantom locking/unlocking.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:37 PM   #6

This exact scenario happened to me on my old van. I forget the name of the part (I think its RKE module) but its behind the drivers seat mounted inside the wall of the van there. Unfortunately depending on your floor plan, usually behind the cabinets/counter top. Real pain to access.

Mine did it whenever it was wet. If the van was in a hot and dry place it would not happen. Biggest issue was that I would sometimes come back to my van and it would be unlocked.

Here is a good thread on the issue: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...cks-18943.html
clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:21 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Yup, I’ve also been victim to the phantom locking door, luckily it never unlocked itself, this has also only happened to us when it’s raining out, so it’s got to be a moisture issue with the door lock module.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:10 AM   #8

On a SMB build especially in the years around the OP's 2004 van:

Check the wiring that goes up driver side B Pillar. I have seen quite a few rigs w SMB aftermarket window installs that developed wire harness chaffing and grounding /shorting issues in that area. The chaffing takes years and years to develop and seems more pronounced in 4x4 or vehicles used on tough roads. It can present as many different gremlins in the electrical system - interior/exterior lighting, locks, dash, etc.

Here is a link to avanduh's post showing what and where we found his problem:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post257302
Old 03-22-2022, 09:08 AM   #9

Mine has only done this when temps are below freezing, I still suspect the keyless entry module and I now have a spare module to try the next time it happens. I’d be happy to lend it to you if your interested
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:00 PM   #10

Garage
Another consideration: A couple years ago my power locks began to replicate what you described - very aggravating. I initially assumed it was the Viper alarm system so I had them disable it, but problem continued. Couple threads available here on the subject that really had me worried since it became apparent the resolve becomes a process of elimination. Turned out to be the two starting batteries had reached end-of-life. After I replaced them it all stopped, and I've had no issue since. I was fortunate enough not to have to 'hunt' for the electrical gremlin.

EDIT: Let me add mine didn't lock and unlock while driving, only when engine was off.