Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #1

Doors out of adjustment

Anyone else have this problem?

The margin between the two side doors goes from just over 1/4" at the bottom to the doors touching at the top. I tried adjusting the rear hinges. It worked for a little bit then the doors moved to this position again.

I'd take it to Ford but I'm certain they would say its the weight of the SMB cabinet causing it.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #2

I've had to adjust my side doors too. There's a post on it in here somewhere, but basicly, it is all in the adjustment. If you were able to adjust it out before, you've got a handle on how to do it. I'd suggest doing the adjustment again and then tighten the hinge bolts even tighter. I worked in a body shop for years, and I've never seen a hinge bolt sheared off. Maybe just use a shorter 3/8" rachet, not a 1/2" drive. Once I got mine adjusted, they've been good.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #3

I had the same problem with my van, and when i looked at other ford vans at SMB they have the same problem as well! Its caused by the rear side door not closeing properly, you have to hold the door closer to the top than the middle and make sure you give it a little more effort than just leeting it swing freely shut. You will b able to feel the difference when you close it as there wont be as much play and the doors will align correctly!
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #4

You're right on there Jayson. I had, and still have, to do that too. Even then, as soon as I hit a rough road the upper latch on the rear side door would pop loose. I ended up having to adjust the hinges and that solved the problem. I don't have to push as hard on the upper part of the door when closing now. Thanks for the reminder. Much easier then a door adjustment.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #5

"Even then, as soon as I hit a rough road the upper latch on the rear side door would pop loose."

Same here. Some bumps will pop the top latch and some won't. I just keep an eye on it and reclose it at the next stop.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #6

Doors

I'm with scatter on this. the upper latch works fine on my SMB, it's the upper hinge that has shifted. the forward door has done the same, but doesn't look like it would be as easy to adjust. Of course, I'm not going off road either. Will get to it soon. Maybe before the summer's over.....

Philrod

'07 E350 V10 RB50
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #7

Doors out of adjustment

YES! have the same problem on my 07. I don't have a handle on making this adjustment other than actually bending the hinge? Can this be done with the door on ? If I could get the top over (plumb) then I could tighten and retorque the bolt. Help.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #8

I made some adjustments and so far they have kept the alignment.

DON’T BEND THE HINGES!

There are two places on each hinge to make adjustments. The exposed bolts on the hinge that you see when you open the doors adjust the door in and out. That probably NOT what you want to do. (Although I drew mine in a little at the top and it latches better.)

On the inside face of the door panel are rubber grommets. Pop these out and look inside. Here you will find the adjustment bolts that control the side to side margins. Loosen the bolts, and tweek the door. You have to move the door with it in the open position, so its a a “try and see” procedure, and much easier with two people. I used the Ford stock jack on the running board and was able to control the door well enough to get it back into alignment. I have the “50” plan and was told that the galley box would lift out but I was never able to do that. It would have lightened up the door to make the adjustment easier. I now have about a 1/8” gap at the top instead of the doors actually touching each other.

Be careful about not dropping the bolts down inside the door. (OOPS) A flexible magnet helps retrieve if you do.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #9

doors out of adjustment

Thanks charlie, I will look for these adjustment points, the door I need to work on is the rear, not the side, but they may be the same. My galley box lifted straightup off of pin type hinges, after releasing the locking device. This does releive a lot of weight, and space, so when travelling it gives more room if you can organize the kitchen items elsewhere.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #10

Doors out of adjustment

I have looked on my Ford 07 and there are adj. points and the cargo dr. left side but nothing on the rear doors. I may be able to shim the doors apart to give the needed clearance then retorque the top bolt. It looks to me as if the bolt SMB uses is slightly less in diameter than the Ford "pin". I may need to get the outside pin diameter dimension from someone and have a machinist turn out the proper diameter bolt on a lathe. Suggestions? Pat