Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 12:10 PM   #11

I was hoping that such a filter could be mounted on the intake side to prevent the AC evaporator from filling up with dust, ash or other debris. I've had all but the evaporator out from the outside and haven't been able to figure out a reasonable flat-ish surface to make it happen there. I'm pretty sure I do not want to cover the whole air intake cowling in front of the window.

Every other car I've serviced a pollen filter on has had it on the inside end, likely to ensure that it remains dry. So that suggests that carringb has it in the best location.

These filters do work. I had to do a bunch of driving, with a car that did have a filter, through really bad smoke during the camp fire that burned down paradise two years ago. When the air finally cleared up and I changed the pollen and intake filter, they were both nearly a pound heavier than their replacements.

Since the fires are likely to keep getting worse for the rest of our lives, it may be worth investing in an easy to service solution.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #12

I did a similar set up as carringb earlier this week when I had to drive up to Seattle. Was in my work van for nearly 10 hours that day and it seemed to help. The air up that way was better than Portland but from Kalama south was pretty bad and didnt seem to have as much smokiness in the van as previously experienced. Thanks for the posting the idea carringb!
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #13

Carringb, I love the look of your filter hack, but I have no clue where you taped it in place. That closeup photo gives me no context to the location on the van. Got a wider range shot?
Thanks.
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #14

Very interesting thread, responding to follow updates.
D1MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchukar View Post
Carringb, I love the look of your filter hack, but I have no clue where you taped it in place. That closeup photo gives me no context to the location on the van. Got a wider range shot?
Thanks.
That looks like the rear AC box.

Also following. Had to tear my AC system out this weekend to get to a body seam leak. Looks like I'm replacing the whole system too. Had the compressor replaced in Montana in 2016 when my clutch seized up. Lincoln dealer was the only place that could do it in a day.

Turns out they cross threaded the drier>evap line. UGH. Also, the orifice tube filter is full of metal. SO, since I have the air box out, I'm contemplating how to add a cabin filter. Between the cowl and airbox seems to be the best position since there is already a 1" foam seal there. can likely trip the raised lip and afford about 1" to install something. The mount/box will be the trick.

KICKYRIDE.COM - DIY remote start & security kits
mikewithered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #16
Gone Traveling

Did anyone ever come up with a 3D printed filter? My heater blower motor stopped working so i had to put in a new one. Once i got the old one out i found that the A/C evaporator was completely plugged up with dog hair. Explains why it never seemed to blow enough heat to defrost the windshield. It literally took me an hour to pick all of the dog hair out of the fins.

I ended up cutting the handle off of a fine bristle wire brush and using it to snag the hairs as i brushed it across the fins. Once i had it as clean as i could get it, i used some mesh screen door stuff and cut it to fit over the evaporator and then reinstalled the new blower motor. I dont wanna pull it apart again to remove dog hair down the road if i can get something to prevent the hair from being pulled into the plenum in the first place.
BoxterRocks is offline   Reply With Quote