Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Garage
E350 Chime Fixed

Thought I would post a brief report about a problem I experienced and, fortunately, was just repaired under Ford warranty:

A while back, the "chime" that lets you know your lights are on or you left your keys in the ignition, etc., began to chime whenever the driver side door was opened. If you jiggled the ignition key slot, it would turn off, but go back on at the slightest bump. I was going to ignore it as just an annoyance but then I found myself leaving my lights on because I thought it was a false alarm. So, time to fix it. I went to my regular mechanic and he graciously reminded me the van was still under warranty and Ford should fix it instead.

So, I go to the local Ford dealership on 122nd in Portland and the service rep immediately started an argument with me, saying the recent stereo install had messed everything up, so it was unlikely they'd cover it. Worse, I was going to have to pay $100 for the privilege of finding that out and then more money for the repair itself. He refused to accept the fact that the chime went bad way before the stereo/alarm install. I was really taken back by his crappy attitude.

So I found another dealership - Northside Ford on Columbia Blvd - where they sell and service mostly trucks and vans. AND, they're close by, AND they have service hours till midnight!

I drop the van off. They call me and say, yep, it's that contact in the ignition that's broken. We see it all the time. We'll fix and pay for it, no problem. They got the part in same day and bam! Fixed.

The invoice says:

"Verified chime. Inspected steering column. Inspected contact, contact is broken. Only way to repair is to replace clock spring to replace damaged connector. Connector fits correctly and chime is no longer present."

Wayne is the service rep at Northside. I didn't get the name of the shop foreman who said it was absolutely a warranty issue. What a great experience. Attitude goes a long way with me. The freebie $400 repair was icing on the cake.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

I have this same issue. Been living with it for months now. I have a friend who is a mechanic for a Ford dealership and he said it was the clockspring without even looking at it...just told him my symptoms. If I press up on the bottom of the steering column, it will work properly, but only until I drive the van again.

Glad your was a free fix. Hoping to get mine fixed soon.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Garage
Mikracer, I'm really enjoying the quiet! You don't know how much something annoys you until it doesn't. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #4

Nice! Sounds like you have a new favorite Ford Dealer.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

This is interesting that one members is a 2014 and the other a 2005??
Does anyone know if this is a multi year Ford snafu?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Thanks for making this post. After reading it I realized that it is probably my clock spring that is causing my Air Bag light to go on as well as the door chime with no key.

I can pull my key out while driving. That might be another issue.

Now to try to figure out which clock spring I need in a '96. Bah
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Garage
This issue is nothing new for Fords. The clip that secures the chime ground to the lock cylinder is quite small and becomes brittle over time. The clock spring replacement job is easy and takes about 20 minutes. I have probably done a handful of these this year for horn, airbag light and chime related issues.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
Thanks for making this post. After reading it I realized that it is probably my clock spring that is causing my Air Bag light to go on as well as the door chime with no key.

I can pull my key out while driving. That might be another issue.

Now to try to figure out which clock spring I need in a '96. Bah
Likely Dorman PN 525205, ~$90 at rockauto.com, listed under airbag clock spring

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #9

I thought it should be 525205 but I saw another part number if I have remote entry. I need to look at what I have. I don't have a factory remote entry but instead an aftermarket alarm remote.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Nice! Sounds like you have a new favorite Ford Dealer.....
Yes, I do, at least till next year when the warranty ends! Though I have a local mechanic I really like who usually takes care of thing for me, it's good to know there's a decent dealership in town.