Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2024, 04:28 PM   #1

Unhappy E350 Quigly Sportsmobile high top heavy duty shocks

I have a SM Quigley 4/4 High top 2001. Tryinng to find out replacement shocks.
It also has dual steering stabilizers from Rough Country but I can't find much info on shocks.
My local shop threw up their hands.
I've called SM, and Rough Country no solution yet, too late to call Quigley today. It seems to depend on the as modified combined weight a spec I do not have.
Any ideas. This beast of a rig is pretty heavy with the tall top etc.
V10

Jordanfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 07:04 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
One of the best options for Quigley replacement shocks is Agile Off Road’s RIP kit (ride improvement package), comes with custom valved Fox shocks and new progressive rate coil springs up front.
You can go to your local waste management, Pioneer landscaping or a CAT weigh station to get your vehicles weight, front and rear separately, most often they will accommodate.
Another solid option, maybe a bit less than Agile kit, is to go with Bilstein shocks, you’ll have to look up or find a good shop to give you the proper shock part numbers needed. Keep in mind, there is a HD Bilstein option, made for large class C motorhomes, too stiff in my opinion for our applications, stick with the comfort shock from Bilstein.
You may also want to address the rear leaf spring pack, especially if the OEM ones are flat or sagging, SMB famously retained the original spring pack and put in lift blocks to get the proper ride height, a big compromise that didn’t take into consideration the added weight of the buildout.
Where are you located?
Good luck, lots of good folks and info here on the forum
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 12:08 PM   #3

HIGHCOUNTRY MIKE for what it's worth: sag and shock issues
2003 E350 QUIGLEY 4X4 7.3 SPORTSMOBILE (WEST)
YEARS AGO, TO CURE DEATH WOBBLE I HAD FRONT END REWORKED AND BILSTEIN SHOCKS.....
Always had the sag mentioned. Rear springs were original, and SMB added a 4" lift block below the springs. then built the SMB which resulted in the sag.
Last month I had had it with the pronounced "sag". Selected Deaver Springs for replacement springs no more sag. Then I replaced the rear Bilstein shocks with KYB HD. Very happy camper. Then loud squeaking noise in front end. The shop found that the Bilstein shock had failed. They (shop)had trouble finding a replacement shock. I called Quigley and they gave me the shock # that was installed by Quigley (Monroe's). Replaced with the original.
Omy what a different ride. Took it to Panamint Valley for 4X4 test run. Very happy SMB owner. Great ride. My 2003 looks great, no sag, all shocks are functioning as designed.
Bilstein were very disappointing, SMB rear spring solution was a poor substitute.
Deaver Spring's are great and very happy with off the shelf front and rear shocks.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 02:58 PM   #4

Jordanfc,

Did you also mean to imply that your Rough Country steering stabilizers need replacement?

Timerider
Old 07-03-2024, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
...Deaver Spring's are great and very happy with off the shelf front and rear shocks.
So, Mike, you you have the Monroes on front and the KYB still on the back? Any reason why Deaver over Alcan springs?
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 08:44 AM   #6

Ramjet,
YES
I went with Deaver because: positive customer feedback, location, cost and they installed.
I went with Monroes after my Bilstein on the front failed.
Changed out the rear as preventive Maintenace step.
I understand the combo may seem like a band aid approach, but it works for me.
The van has never been without the "SAG". It looks great now.
The ride is the best ever also.
So HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is a happy camper.
2003 Ford E350 4X4 7.3 Sportsmobile 320,000 miles
Off to Utah Monday..........
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e350 shocks