Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #11

I have dealt with the 60/40 door rattle a few times. Taking the advice you got from folks above should solve your problem. You just have to fool around until you find the fix that works for you.

I have wonderful news though! You're driving a camper van around. It's a house including it's contents rolling around on a vehicle chassis. What's more, you take it off road probably! Just about the time you solve one rattle another will present itself.

My kids don't miss traveling in our former SMB at all because I always kept them busy chasing down rattles while we were on the road. Makes for a fun game for a minute or two, then there's the rest of the time you own the vehicle.

Have fun!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #12

Here is my not-so-elegant solution to the door rattle problem...

Despite all my attempts at adjusting the door latches (also the dealer's attempts), after miles of rough washboard the doors would begin to rattle. No problems on the highway, mind you, only on rough dirt roads. Where I live, if I drive south from my house it is 102.5 miles before I come to the first pavement so this was a serious problem! In desperation I was willing to try anything - and this is what I came up with. A simple mini load binder. It snugs the door up tightly against the van body and keeps it there. No more rattles!
Attached Thumbnails
P1130543r.jpg  
Old 03-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Here is my not-so-elegant solution to the door rattle problem...

That's great! I need to do that for my rear door... "mini load binder" hmmm.

-- Geoff
Old 04-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #14

I assume you have checked the 2 spring-loaded tensioners on the top edge of the van body. I had a rattle on my door and although both were good the rivets on one were slack allowing the tensioner to move. I drilled them out and refitted with rivnuts and stainless cap screws. hope this is of some use.
asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #15

vanislevincceeno,
I have similar van 2003 E350 SMB 7.3 4X4
Had similar rattle years ago while camped I fabricated a wedge/shim which I attached to the floor support facing. Below my suicide door cabinet. Used duct tape to build the wedge slightly thicker than the space between the door and the support facing. It was a snug fit closed the door which compressed the wedge ever so slightly...."bingo" no more rattling. No adjusting the the door latches. It's now attached to the support facing by velcro.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. It has been a conversation in more than 1 campground.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote