Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

E350 Sliding door pictures/options

Hi...

Looking to purchase a E350 and struggling to find a V10 w/side barn doors.

How far will the door open with offset tires/wheels? Happen to have a picture?

Anyone regret the sliding door?

Thanks!

PNWExpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #2

yea it sucks but extensions avail so its no problem clearing tires,had for 10 years, slider don't let it be deal breaker very livable ,actually doesn't block view when hangin inside with door open so there's that, and If I was real ambitious and keeping my van which I think I'm gonna sell soon, id look into wheelchair companies for auto open, sprinter has it factory I believe, and if I was real real ambitious id mock up a door like we used to see from the 60s 70s van craze ,open up like a tailgate def be the only kid on the block with that setup
zlivewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #3

I have one. Installed a modified hinge so it opens out further at the back of the door.
I have 1.5 inch wheel spacers on the back with 285 tires on stock offset wheels. Clears with a tiny bit of room left.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #4

I really like my sliding door. The big pop out window is great for views and ventilation.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #5

I drove a van with the sliding side door for 32+ years and loved it. It did have an extension on it to clear the flare over the rear tire. When I got my current van it had the barn doors and that's when I realized just how handy the sliding side door was. Once open, it was out of the way and stayed open. The barn doors...when the front barn door is open all the way the front passenger door is blocked. Whenever there is a strong wind neither of the barn doors will stay open. A minor point is that instead of having one big window on that side there are two small windows, one in each door, with a big divider between them.

Some people have reported that they have a problem with the side door rattling on washboardy roads. Mine was quiet. I do have a problem with the current barn doors in that the rear door, despite adjustments by myself and the dealer, will not stay latched on washboardy roads. I finally fixed that problem by drilling a hole in the door and pulling it tight shut with a chain tensioner.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
I drove a van with the sliding side door for 32+ years and loved it. It did have an extension on it to clear the flare over the rear tire. When I got my current van it had the barn doors and that's when I realized just how handy the sliding side door was. Once open, it was out of the way and stayed open. The barn doors...when the front barn door is open all the way the front passenger door is blocked. Whenever there is a strong wind neither of the barn doors will stay open. A minor point is that instead of having one big window on that side there are two small windows, one in each door, with a big divider between them.

Some people have reported that they have a problem with the side door rattling on washboardy roads. Mine was quiet. I do have a problem with the current barn doors in that the rear door, despite adjustments by myself and the dealer, will not stay latched on washboardy roads. I finally fixed that problem by drilling a hole in the door and pulling it tight shut with a chain tensioner.
Any idea if you’d be able to still step through the rear slider when using larger tires, I’ve searched everywhere I can find without success.
PNWExpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWExpo View Post
Any idea if you’d be able to still step through the rear slider when using larger tires, I’ve searched everywhere I can find without success.
Sorry, but I've no idea what you are asking here? Opening the sliding rear door completely? Yes, it will open completely and latch into place - but as others have said above, you have to buy an aftermarket longer arm that will clear the larger tires. That's what I had to do.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #8

Weldtech designs sells an extended arm for the sliders
Kase3875 is offline   Reply With Quote