Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #1

EB body swap

OK. I know this sounds agressive, but hear me out. I have a 96 EB SMB 2wd that is in excellent condition. Body/interior looks like it is only a couple of years old. Has 110,000 miles and runs great. The springs are starting to sag and the front suspensin is getting a little loose. I really wanted a 4x4, but I could not pass up this deal. I priced out getting a 4x4 conversion and they run over $10,000. Doesn't make much sense to spend that much on a 12 y/o vehicle. Then I came upon a 2001 V10 Quigley that was wrecked. I can pick up cheap and am wondering about a EB body swap. At the price I am looking at, I could buy the newer van, swap the bodies, and sell the non-keeper to offset the cost. If the swap is plausable, I think I could come out with a net of ~$5,000-8,000 and have a much lower mileage van. Any problems swapping a 2001 with a 1996? I am not concerned with the titling as I would keep the 1996 VIN. I plan on keeping for years, so am not concerned about resale. Thoughts? Thanks.

cobaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #2

Re: EB body swap

It's been done, not sure about the years' compatability.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...ilit=frame+off

As I understand it, with SMB built interior it is much harder so you probably have to pull everything, swap and rebuild inside too.

There was one for sale locally that was a Quigley frame and a 15 passenger top put together from a ruined Sportsmobile.

Just one thing- you better freaking take lots of photos!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

eventually that one will deserve its own thread for research!
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #4

I've seen that thread for the body removed before. Seems logical. My body shop guy was out today, so I'll ask him tomorrow what he thinks. The slavage title one you are referring to is the one I am talking about. mLess than 30,000 miles. Sounds like a great donor vehicle.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #5

OK. So I bought the 4x4 for $14,500. It has a clear title, not salvage and drives like new. I think I'll use use the 2002 body as it has larger windows which I like. I am figuring $6000-$8000 tototally trick out a custom interior. I'll let you know how it goes. Anybody want an awesome 1996 EB that looks new?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #6

I bought a wrecked '00 E250 (RB) Quigley 4x4 a few years back and just this morning bought an '02 E250 2wd with a nice body, clear title and blown engine for $1000 to be a body donor. If anyone can point me to 1) shops in the Atlanta area that do 'body swaps' and 2) project blogs that show how to DIY this, please let me know...
Swordini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #7

I am currently amidst this project, so perhaps I should start another thread and post the pictures there. I have a 1994 E150 cargo van (RB) which I absolutely love, but have always wished it was 4wd. I happened upon a 1993 Quigley E350 which had a rough body and blown transmission. I picked up the Quigley with the intention of just building one good van and selling or scrapping the remaining parts. I am doing this at my house and have limited areas to work (and no lift), so cutting up and scrapping the damaged Quigley body simplified things. If you guys are planning to reassemble two vans, it will just require a larger flat area to work (at least the space for 3 vans).

Dave
Davelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #8

I would say the local wheelchair van conversion companies have more experience with the way these vans bolt to the frame than anyone else. They routinely add 3 inches of body lift to these vans.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #9

FYI, I found a place here in Atlanta that is doing the body swap for $1000. Seems like a good deal but waiting to see the results. Here are pix so far: http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.barnwe ... directlink
Swordini is offline   Reply With Quote