Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Sportsmobiles > Van Body
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #1

Garage
Question Electric Penthouse Top Stuck in Up Position - 1/2 Way Down Driver's Side Stops

Fortunately I was at home, because my electric PH top is malfunctioning. When trying to close it, around half way down, only the passenger side wants to fully retract. In fear of damaging the mechanics it is now in the fully expanded position until I can find a solution. Upon some investigation it seems as though either something is blocking the driver's side of the mechanism or the driver's side PH motor is having an issue. Unless something has broken I'm ruling out an obstruction problem at this time. Has anyone else encountered this sort of problem. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Greg

gephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

Put the top up and start removing the velour or whatever trim covers the mechanism, just under the X frame on either side. It's probably held in place with snap covers that pop off with a flat blade screwdriver, then you can remove the snaps with a philips screwdriver. It's possible you'll need to remove the front and rear trim covers, which are upholstered wood, but probably not. There is nothing under them, they just provide access to the ends of the trim material on the sides. Let us know what you find under there.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #3

Garage
After taking a look at the mechanism, springs up front and motor in the back it appears that the driver's side pneumatic retracting rod seems to have some sort of internal obstruction about half way down. Has this happened to anyone else? I didn't try to remove it yet, but I'm considering calling SMB and ordering a new one. Installing the new piece could be an adventure on it's own. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #4

I haven't seen a power top in person but have taken a few manual ones apart. You should be able to support it in the up position with some 2' or so 2x4's and then start do lower it a bit, which should take the pressure off of it so you could release the messed up motor/arm and replace. There is really no danger of anything falling on you if you support the top in all 4 corners with some 2x4's.

A few here have powered tops. Someone will chime in soon I'm sure.

Also, there are lots of SMB owners in Jackson. Maybe someone can help you out with it. Try Ron at Ron's Towing.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks for the help!
��
Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #6

I have a powered top that has no trim around any of the internal components. let me know what you want pictures of. My guess is something is blocking it and keeping it from retracting further.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
I have a powered top that has no trim around any of the internal components. let me know what you want pictures of. My guess is something is blocking it and keeping it from retracting further.

Geez, you home build guys are sooooo sloooooow.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #8

haha. You know it! Gotta "live" in it for a little to know what you want to do!
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
haha. You know it! Gotta "live" in it for a little to know what you want to do!
I need to put a sign on mine that says "Under Construction".
Old 07-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gephoto View Post
After taking a look at the mechanism, springs up front and motor in the back it appears that the driver's side pneumatic retracting rod seems to have some sort of internal obstruction about half way down. Has this happened to anyone else? I didn't try to remove it yet, but I'm considering calling SMB and ordering a new one. Installing the new piece could be an adventure on it's own. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Have you called SMB??

Tags
electric, malfunction, penthouse top, push arm, stuck open