Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2010, 06:00 AM   #1

Extended body vs Regular body pros and cons?

I'm guessing any difference in gas mileage will be minimal, The extra space would be nice if you were planning on living it it for more than a week at a time. Parking may be a little more difficult but I don't plan on spending much time in cities.

To those of you who own the EB, how often do you rub your tail on the trail?

Please list your pros and cons for the two different body styles.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:39 AM   #2

Re: Extended body vs Regular body pros and cons?

I think there are actually a few threads on this already, but I'll throw in my two bits.

I have a regular body and love it, BUT, if I were to do it again, I would love that extra 20 inches and would maybe opt for the EB. I don't do hardcore crawling, so I don't think it would affect me much, but everybody's style is different. As for parking, I AM in the city, NYC, and either one is either a hassle to park or no hassle, depending on how you look at it. It's no hassle for me because I only look for monster spots and they do exist. What's another 20 inches?

Anyway, for now, I'm a shortie and fine with that, too. In terms of interior space, though, even cubic inch counts.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #3

I actually did a search for this topic before posting a new one. I must not be very good with the search feature because I did not find much.... Sorry if this is a repeat.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #4

I don't think I could ever go back to a shorty van.

-I like the space
-On the wagons, the extended vans come with heavier rear springs

On the 2011's it looks like the extend vans come with full floaters and the shorty vans don't (not entirely sure though.... and and we've seen in prior year Ford can changed their minds on a whim about which axle to put under it). Extended vans are also available with the "High-mast prep package" which installs factory 7800# rear springs.

A stock 2wd extended van will have tail dragging problems, but most 4x4 can probably get by just by being more selective with line. My van has a mild lift, but I've also improved departure clearance by relocating the spare, and using a Reunel bumper with integrated hitch receiver, instead of a traditional below-bumper receiver which hangs down a few inches.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #5

The extra 20" of space inside is huge. Never have dragged the rear end, but I do have watch my line, as carringb said. I don't "rock-crawl" (much), but I do go off-road. For me and the family, extended is the way to go. The only downside is that the rear end is a bit long in tight parking lots, but with either length of van you have to be careful backing up.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #6

Yeah, I am thrilled with my van, but I would take that 20 more inches in a heartbeat. Then, I could actually put a Barcalounger in the middle of everything and be a happy man.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #7

I've only dragged the tail on our EB a couple of times...that is what the after-market bumper is for! I won't give up the extra space for anything. The EB fits in a regular parking lot space and fits between our garage door and the sidewalk. I won't try parallel parking either an EB or RB but look for parallel parking spaces next red zones, end of the block spaces, etc.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #8

The Disabled Explorers WAVE (wheelchair accessible van for expeditions) is an EB because I really wanted/needed that extra space inside, what I didn't realize was that even doing some harder core off roading it hasn't been a big deal.

The receiver hitch takes the worst of the abuse and the Aluminess rear bumper has held up the the 11,000lb really well
Even with newbies driving the rig doing trails like Fins n' Things in Moab I have only broken off the rear lights of the Aluminess and given that area on both side a bit of a tweak. I think that could be fixed by having them box the underside of the bumper.

I have thought about those roller type things the bigger RV's use but since it has only been 1 trail over the last year that was a problem (and that was a pretty aggressive trail) I don't really worry about it.

That 20 inches makes such a huge difference in living space I can't recommend it enough.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Similar posts to look at:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=894
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1066
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=442

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #10

You've sold me. EB it will be.