Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #21

Garage
to @dirtanddogfur

Agreed with you ABS would be certainly easier.

I think the first step is to do the design. From scratch or from the scan. The printing part is not the most complicated. We can either slice the part or print in a large printer. I have seen quite a lot of large printer in the Bay Area.

I am in a process to get a new printer with a larger bed.

to @Poptopper, yeah definitely when the initial design is good, we can me creative.

here below a guy who did the project before for Toyota

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/for-sale-t4r-items/182525-fs-3d-printed-sr5-flare-caps-$80-3rd-gen.html

If someone can provide me good pictures with scales and dimensions it would be great start.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #22

Garage
to all who has those flares.

Can you please confirm those are the exact one that we have on e150?

BTW - it seems that the patent is expired since 2011

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...hwacker&page=1
Old 03-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #23

Yes E150 E250 E350 1992-2014 all use the same Bushwackers.

Sliding side door vans have narrower rear flares than the Barn door vans, so Bushwacker makes two different rear flares to fit them.
Poptopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #24

build them out of fiberglass and make a mold and Pour them in poly or abs
Adventurezoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptopper View Post
Bushwacker has a monopoly on E series flares...nobody else makes any kind of flare for them ...

By searching for other things I found the following items in ebay germany. Just wonder what this is about .... some cheap stuff ?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Radlauf-Fend...wAAOSw9N5bFfd3

and
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Body-felgen-...QAAOSwEMxa9jV5
Old 03-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Y
3D printing is certainly an up and coming process, the materials certainly are evolving all the time.

Am not easily entertained or impressed----or am I?

The materials are certainly evolving.......3D printing has been around since the late 80's...starting with 3D systems SLA process....the original UV yellowed out brittle material.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #27

This dude is my favorite 3D printin' master as of right now on instagram... @3d_magic_mike

His fender flare molds...https://www.instagram.com/p/BfuHJYrH..._web_copy_link

If you following his stuff, he's using a lot of the 3D prints as molds for the final (carbon fiber) pieces. He does do a lot of just straight printed parts for his Datsun build though.

The original body work was scanned then the rest of the chassis was designed in Solidworks. He has his printer farm going almost non-stop for builds at The Roadster Shop. He's also got some really clever ideas for tooling using 3D prints.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #28

Dont get me wrong I like DIY and 3D printing but if your doing this to save money in the end you probably wont. If your using an FDM printer, thats the kind where you print layer by layer which most consumer models its not going to be as simple as scan and print. The profile of a mass produced fender flare is going to require a lot of post processing due to the need for support layers in your print. PLA is easy to work with but keep in mind it is brittle and when exposed to the elements will biodegrade if no sealed properly. ABS is harder to print but easy to finish in that you can use acetone to essentially bring it back to a liquid state for the purpose of smoothing over your joints. As far as the size goes I have printed items larger than my printers build volume by adding finger joints into the model. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
Dont get me wrong I like DIY and 3D printing but if your doing this to save money in the end you probably wont. If your using an FDM printer, thats the kind where you print layer by layer which most consumer models its not going to be as simple as scan and print. The profile of a mass produced fender flare is going to require a lot of post processing due to the need for support layers in your print. PLA is easy to work with but keep in mind it is brittle and when exposed to the elements will biodegrade if no sealed properly. ABS is harder to print but easy to finish in that you can use acetone to essentially bring it back to a liquid state for the purpose of smoothing over your joints. As far as the size goes I have printed items larger than my printers build volume by adding finger joints into the model. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
I agree with this sentiment. The 3D printing route would probably turn out to be more expensive once you factor in how much time it will take. Also, you are inevitably going to have to use an inferior material and have to piece meal each one together rather than having a single molded piece. Not ideal.

I got my flares off of Amazon when they were on sale thanks to a forum member that posted the link here. Paid $440 for both front and back sets including tax and shipping (shipping free with amazon prime).

Looks like right now they are $256 a set not including tax. Got mine at $205. maybe better to just put that in your cart and track the price to see if it drops?
https://www.amazon.com/Bushwacker-22...RTTWDA6XV8Z757
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
I agree with this sentiment. The 3D printing route would probably turn out to be more expensive once you factor in how much time it will take. Also, you are inevitably going to have to use an inferior material and have to piece meal each one together rather than having a single molded piece. Not ideal.

I got my flares off of Amazon when they were on sale thanks to a forum member that posted the link here. Paid $440 for both front and back sets including tax and shipping (shipping free with amazon prime).

Looks like right now they are $256 a set not including tax. Got mine at $205. maybe better to just put that in your cart and track the price to see if it drops?
https://www.amazon.com/Bushwacker-22...RTTWDA6XV8Z757
Wait a minute...isn't everyone's time FREE anymore?
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote