Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 05:33 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekgurl View Post

Hi, not meaning to hijack this thread...I just joined this forum and don't know doodly about these new electronics. I had to take my seats (last friday)as I had the van floors de-rusted and raptored. Did I do a bad thing by just yanking the seats out? Is there a safe way I should have done this? I can start another thread.

trekgurl
When fiddlin' 'bout with any of the SRS components (aka "air bags" including seat belt pre-tensioning units) its best to disconnect the negative battery terminal at least 15 minutes before beginning. This allows any residual electrical current possibly stored in the SRS control module to bleed off or dissipate safely.

Its probably about a million to one possibility disconnecting the seat belt device alone would trigger the entire SRS system however the cost and mess created along with potential bodily injury to unsuspecting by-standers in the path of triggered SRS components make this a must do practice.

Yes this is a hassle if only because the radio presets are lost. Even so its still a small price considering all the "what could go wrong?" things.

Anyone who disagrees is taking chances and accepting a risk that's easily avoided and quite unnecessary. As with all things on the internerd YMMV, FWIW etc etc.

Good luck and BE CAREFUL in there!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekgurl View Post

I had to take my seats (last friday)as I had the van floors de-rusted and raptored. Did I do a bad thing by just yanking the seats out? Is there a safe way I should have done this? I can start another thread.

trekgurl

As mentioned, disconnect the battery and wait 10-15 minutes.....if you have a battery separator and house batteries be sure the house batteries are separated from the van battery.

I have a 2008 and the service manual says pull fuse #20 (SRS) before working on SRS stuff. I disconnect the van battery, pop the breaker I've installed between the battery banks and pull fuse #20....

My biggest concern is not setting off an airbag, but triggering an SRS dash light which can be a PITA to reset.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote