Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #1

Ford E250 passenger chair reverse (180 flip)

Heya,

New to this forum, did a few searches but couldn’t find any specific answer.

I have a ford E250 van. I’m looking to rotate the passenger seat 180 degrees, ie backwards.

I don’t require it to spin, I don’t need a captains chair / swivel.

I was wondering if anyone knew the difficulty in simply removing it and replacing it backwards.

Does it require new holes to be drilled?
Should I remove the seat itself? Or the base?

Any tips would be appreciated (before I dive in and mess it up

Thanks!

Mrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #2

You'll want to flip the base too since it isn't flat. The base is higher in the front which makes the chair sit properly. Take a close look and you'll get it. However, I do not remember if the holes are square. It's simple to remove if you don't have rust to contend with. Use an air wrench if you have it. Take the 4 bolts loose and give it a try.

I have done this on a van while I waited for the swivel base to show up. I was just experimenting with how it would be. I just laid the backrest back on the dash while driving so I could see out of the right mirror. Good luck!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #3

IIRC the holes are not square to each other. They are offset. Are you planning on having a passenger ride in that seat? If so, remember that the seat backs are not built to protect someone in an accident if they are in that position.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #4

Excellent! Thanks for the tips. I’ll give it a crack and report back.

I don’t intend to have anyone ride in the seat, which is primarily why I want to flip it. (Never gets used, would prefer a lounge chair).

I may invest in a swivel down the line.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:43 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
If you really don't intend that space to occupy any sort of seating why not just remove it altogether? Perhaps use that space for some sort of storage?

You'd have to contend with a "missing" seat belt collision pre-tensioner and the two studs holding the rear of the seat base to the floor. The seat belt issue can be remedied with a device intended to safely maintain the SRS's functionality, the two studs removed either by heating them with a torch and screwed out or simply grinding them off level with the bare floor.

If I knew I'd never have a passenger my right side seat would be gone and never missed. There's so much space a single seat takes up its a worthwhile contemplation.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #6

I want to be able to sit in the seat when parked. Kind of like a mini lounge room (for one obviously)

If it all becomes too hard I could just remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
You'd have to contend with a "missing" seat belt collision pre-tensioner and the two studs holding the rear of the seat base to the floor. The seat belt issue can be remedied with a device intended to safely maintain the SRS's functionality, the two studs removed either by heating them with a torch and screwed out or simply grinding them off level with the bare floor.
Regarding SRS. Is this relevant if no one is going to be sitting in the seat while driving? Can you elaborate on ‘safely maintain’?

Cheers!

Going to give it a crack today. Will report back
Old 08-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #7

Seat base holes are not squared up and the tabs where the bolts/nuts provide hold down probably do not have enough extra surface to re-drill new holes.

For roughly $235 delivered in the current Swivel Seat Group Buy you can have a swivel base and have the flexibility. Keep your stock base for when you sell the van and separately sell the used swivel for $150 or more. Net out of pocket is what $80 over how many years and how many hours to mess with the stock base? Takes 15 seconds or less to swivel the seat around. Just an idea ....
Old 08-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #8

Go with the swivel seat from 1der, I did and it's been one of the coolest additions to my van. Use it a lot.
Slowly building interior
E250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:43 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjames View Post

Regarding SRS. Is this relevant if no one is going to be sitting in the seat while driving? Can you elaborate on ‘safely maintain’?

Cheers!

Going to give it a crack today. Will report back
Looking forward to your experience---I'll be interested to see what this involves out of pure curiosity.

IF the seat were removed and the seat belt pre-tensioning device removed you'd have a constant instrument cluster air SRS warning light. I'm pretty sure that portion of the system being removed doesn't disable or affect the system, plenty of post '91 E-Series came factory equipped without an air bag on the passenger's side---my own 2000 E250 is one of those.

Do be careful removing or reversing the seat as its a bit too easy to damage the wiring for the SRS device that's connected to the seat. Personally I'd disconnect the negative battery terminal for a minimum of 15 minutes before beginning all this---this is a good way to NOT accidentally deploy the SRS.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #10

HTH[/QUOTE]
Do be careful removing or reversing the seat as its a bit too easy to damage the wiring for the SRS device that's connected to the seat. Personally I'd disconnect the negative battery terminal for a minimum of 15 minutes before beginning all this---this is a good way to NOT accidentally deploy the SRS.

Hi, not meaning to hijack this thread...I just joined this forum and don't know doodly about these new electronics. I had to take my seats (last friday)as I had the van floors de-rusted and raptored. Did I do a bad thing by just yanking the seats out? Is there a safe way I should have done this? I can start another thread.

trekgurl