Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #1

Ford front grille guard with mesh to keep bugs out

I've had my sportsmobile for 6 months now and enjoying it. I'm surprised to run into this forum, Sportsmobile never mentioned this to me. I wish I knew about it before I did my build, it answers so many of the questions I had back then.

While in Yellowstone this summer, I saw another SMB driving towards me. He had a front grille guard that had a mesh screen on it. When I got back, I had so much bugs in my radiator, that I started looking for this. I found Go Industries Rancher , but was told that this cannot be installed on an E-150. Does anyone here know a stock front grille guard with a mesh? Thanks for any leads.
Attached Images

straymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #2

Re: Ford front grille guard with mesh to keep bugs out

Fia makes a detachable screen which you can buy on Amazon (FIA GS902-16). It works well. I think I have a picture of it in my gallery.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #3

Many years ago we drove to Alaska in our 1990 Isuzu Trooper. I had a grille guard on it, to which I attached metal screening in front of the radiator area to keep bugs and stones out of the engine compartment. On one stretch of the Alcan Hwy we pulled into a viewpoint where several other vehicles were also parked. Many of the people outside were staring at our car, but we didn't know why. We got out, walked around front, and then noticed dozens of beautiful butterflies "caught" by our screen. Oops!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #4

Bratwurst-I was hoping for a more 1 piece unit of grille guard and mesh screen. My understanding to these mesh screen is you are suppose to remove them on winter time. We do a lot of winter camping and I wanted to have this metal screen to prevent debris from getting in there too.
straymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote