Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #11

Ford Transit details

Has anyone seen any figures on fuel economy?

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #12

Re: Ford Transit details

Not yet but Ford has said around 25% increase over the Econoline, so I would guess between 2-4 mpg for city and highway, respectively. The van will be displayed at Auto Show in Detroit next month so I think they'll announce it or later when EPA officially tests it. Then again, it's so big that it might not be required to be rated!
pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #13

As disappointed as I am that the Transit has not been fully revealed officially at this week's Detroit Auto Show, at least Ford finally updated their Transit page with the link shown below. More info are provided on the site as well as the ability to click on color palettes and see the Transit in the picture change colors. My personal favorite, by the way, is Vermillion Red and School Bus Yellow. The bad news, though, is that the site now says the Transit will be available 'early 2014' rather than fall 2013 as previously announced. I guess, the good news, is that at least the Econoline will get a reprieve for one more year's full production?

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/2014/
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #14

There doesn't appear to be a diesel option. I would have trouble considering one.

Jonathon
Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by pffan1990
The Sprinter is currently offering two roof heights: low- and high- versions. They did offer the third one which was higher than the high one and called Jumbo Roof. As you can see in the Transit info, there are three roof heights while the Sprinter is offered in two heights, two wheelbases, and three lengths. The Fed-Ex ones I see here are the longest EB Long one with the 'middle' high one. NOT the Jumbo Roof one. I may be mistaken, though. I see on Mercedes official site and looked around in Google and find that they no longer offer the highest Jumbo Roof here. Just the aforementioned low and 'middle' high heights. Hope this helps.
Oh, gotcha. Thanks. I was assuming the FedEx ones were the Jumbo. I see what you mean. Wow, I'm 6'2" and can walk around in a high roof (FedEx) Sprinter. Any higher than that would seem to me to be pretty top heavy or prone to flip!
Airstream did a few conversions on the Sprinter base that are VERY tall, I wonder if that was the jumbo roof version?
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon
There doesn't appear to be a diesel option. I would have trouble considering one.

Jonathon
No, there is a diesel, 2.4L 5 cylinder.

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/t ... =Feature10
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #17

I missed that. Is it 3.2 liter or 2.3 liter, it lists both? A 3.2 liter would be a nice upgrade from my 2.8.

Jonathon
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon

Jonathon

Ford is showing this option on the link that pffan showed. I don't think it has the HP or torque that the 3.5L Ecoboost has, but they don't show the full specs at Ford yet for either as installed in the van.

3.2L I-5 Power StrokeŽ Diesel

Excellent power and economy. Proven diesel ruggedness and dependability.
Inline 5-cylinder turbo diesel engine
Precise direct injection for optimized efficiency
On-demand turbocharged performance
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Ford Transit details

Holy-craphola! They're calling it a PowerStroke! I would have trouble considering one...

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Holy-craphola! They're calling it a PowerStroke! I would have trouble considering one...

Z
I'm assuming you're referring to the gosh-darn awful 6.0L V8 a few years back? Ford's in-house designed and built 6.7L V8 is lots better and yet is stilled called a PowerStroke. Ford simply retained the naming rights when they and International Navistar agreed to part ways a few years back. I will say, though, that it is quite odd for a diesel to be in an inline-5 cylinder count when the best layout for diesel - or any motor - is an inline-6. This is due to balance purposes even though the inline-5 diesel will have counter-rotation shaft to help with balancing, and other NVH issues. If you are considering buying one, I'd wait a year to allow all initial production bugs to be worked out as with other auto manufacturers. Especially if you're wanting the diesel since the Transit is the first vehicle to get it (I use 'is' since I believe Ford will offer it in the next F-150 since they're both in the same plant!). Then again, I'm sure you're just joking regarding the name of the motor. lol