Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: FYI - Upgrade to Limited Slip Differential

Yes and yes. Right tire got into a muddy spot and the van stopped as it started to spin. I heard/felt the LSD kick in and the other tire dug in and away I went. I had one of those "That was well worth the money" moments.
That being said I found out over the weekend that 2wd ain't 4x4 when it comes to deep snow. LSD or not. But that's OK. I was just playing around to see what would happen.

A foot and a half of snow in front of the house on Saturday and by Wednesday (today) it's 70 degrees. Funny weather.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #12

Re: FYI - Upgrade to Limited Slip Differential

Good to hear! I will eventually do some sort of locker in the future (if I don't go 4x4). Just something to help me out and + my good friend owns a shop here in town.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #13

Update?

Just wondering about an update from people who have put in LSD.
I have 2005 E250 we drive on lots of winter roads for skiing.
Have 6 sandbags and studded tires. But hoping for some better stability and traction when it get slippery.
tsemmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:24 AM   #14
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I’d recommend taking a look at a Detroit Truetrac in the rear if you’re looking for something a bit more HD. I upgraded from the factory limited slip to one several years ago and have been happy. No discernible difference with normal daily driving, but the helical gear is a much more robust design compared to the clutches on the LS.
There’s been several threads on the subject around here, it really depends on what type of driving you do, you definitely do not want to run lockers when driving in snow or in icy conditions. For me, we often drive in mixed conditions, curvy mountain passes and in snow(not so much of that in Baja this winter though!) so running one of these Truetracs in the rear made the most sense, it doesn’t bind up when driving twisty passes or send your ass end swinging around when driving in snow like a locker would. If anything, I’ve considered putting a locker in the front and engaging that to help pull me out of being really stuck, but it would mostly only be useful in a straight line, try turning the wheel with a locked up front diff.....

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catal...ferential.html
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:13 AM   #15

Great thanks.
I was looking at the TrueTrac. It is for 2WD E250 that currently has an open rear diff. We drive lots of winter mountain highways so increasing its drive ability is the goal.
tsemmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #16

Another vote for the True Trac! I have one in the front and it's pretty much a locker once it engages.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote