Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #11

The mouse is tormenting me now... I can't locate the squeak to save my life. Very intermittent, and stops as fast as it starts so you can't really tell where it's coming from. Sounds like it is coming from under the van, midsection towards the passenger side. I'll check the door (sounds lower than that though) and rear a/c (I think that's too far back on wrong side), but has anyone else found and fixed squeaks that I can look for?

Teutonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonics View Post
The mouse is tormenting me now... I can't locate the squeak to save my life. Very intermittent, and stops as fast as it starts so you can't really tell where it's coming from. Sounds like it is coming from under the van, midsection towards the passenger side. I'll check the door (sounds lower than that though) and rear a/c (I think that's too far back on wrong side), but has anyone else found and fixed squeaks that I can look for?
get someone to help.. they drive, you move around the van and see if you pinpoint it... hang your head out windows and doors, crawl around, etc.

or find a parking lot bump that triggers the noise and have someone else drive past you standing outside the van..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage
I found that the material they use for the trim around the windows squeaks where the counter top butts up against it. Silicon spray, wax or petroleum jelly seems to work for me. I also get some kind of a noise around the doors and have greased every part of those and it still returns from time to time. All the vans I've driven seem to rattle and squeak but they're work vans. If you find the source please post back. I need to get someone in the back with a long paper tube to see if they can locate it. Fortunately music drowns it out.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #14

Garage
For any of you chasing maddening squeaks or clunks in what *sounds like the passenger-side headliner or interior trim*.....check the bolt that secures the forward awning bracket to the body.

After two years of a combination metal-clunking knock in the passenger b-pillar/headliner (and an accompanying mouse-squeak in what sounded like the rear passenger-side upper interior trim)...

SOLUTION:
Finally it was determined that the SMB-installed shoulder bolt that secures the forward-most awning bracket to the van body (bolts straight through the pillar and has a visible nut on the inside of the b-pillar soft trim) --- didn't have enough thread depth to actually tighten down.

Bolts seemed tight --- but they were merely bottomed-out against the bottom of their thread. So the bracket wasn't actually "cinched tight" against the body of the van. Was probably allowing 1/4" of play when the interior trim squished back and forth. In effect the entire awning was pivoting around its center mount and banging the forward mount in/out against the b-pillar mounting location (and also yanking in/out on the rear-most awning fitting, causing it to flex the van body and interior trim, making a mouse-squeak in the rear of the van....)

SO:
Added some washers to the inside-of-the-van end of the shoulder bolt, under the nut, to take up the necessary depth (and keep the nut from finding the end of its threads), re-tightened....and voila. CLUNK (and Mouse-squeak) VANQUISHED.

I'm sure the first two owners before me endured this sound from the day the van was delivered (almost 20-odd years total....) Now to chase the other 100 squeaks and rattles, lol....
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #15

I just turn up the stereo. Fixes any and all squeaks (except when the serpentine belt squeals, that drives me bonkers...)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
tlg

Garage
I had the same problem. Turned out the leaf spring bushings were bad. Squeak went away when those were replaced. Luckily, was still under warranty. I thought it was the sway bar bushings but those were ok.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #17

I have a 13 yr. old who is awesome at chasing down squeaks. He hates going places in the van. It's always work for him. I keep telling him that as soon as he can drive me around I'll happily chase down my own squeaks, and snacks, and drinks.

He is for rent. PM me for details.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #18

Follow up:

It appears I have evicted the squeak (if at least temporarily). I spent some quality time under the van looking for any potential friction areas near the passenger cargo doors. I ended up lubricating three points: 1) the leaf spring bushing area as it appears the leaf spring is shifted over against the spring mount, 2) the body to frame bushing next to the cargo doors, and 3) the "wedge" (not sure what this is called) under the 40 door that supports the front edge of the 40-door (although I don't think this was it as it is plastic). One of those three points appears to have been the squeak.

I used DuPont dry wax teflon spray which (like Franks Hot Sauce) I "use that *bleep* on everything". Sprays as a thin liquid and seeps in, then dries to a non-tacky waxy film. Works really well and is long lasting.

If the squeak returns I'll rent the kid.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
Teutonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonics View Post
I used DuPont dry wax teflon spray which (like Franks Hot Sauce) I "use that *bleep* on everything". Sprays as a thin liquid and seeps in, then dries to a non-tacky waxy film. Works really well and is long lasting.
This stuff?

DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant
https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant-11-Ounce/dp/B001B0VDC2/

-- Geoff
Old 09-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailquik View Post
Has anyone found the source of the "Econoline Mouse"?

Every Ford van I've been in, cargo or passenger, has a little squeak that seems to come from somewhere near the rear doors. It is like a mouse squeaking and happens only over broken asphalt at moderate speed.

My van didn't do it when brand new, but it started after 3000 miles or so. I've looked everywhere, but can't find the source. It's baffling and annoying: it isn't loud and probably wouldn't bother me except for the fact that I can't locate it.
Aaaa! So f***ing annoying. I've been cursing that for years now, and can't quite track it down by myself. It's something to do with those rear doors, I'm pretty sure. I've tried putting "UHMW" tape around all the door seals, with no luck.

Good idea playing with those wedge sliders. Good candidates for me to mess with.

All those van squeaks... penthouse window material rubbing against itself when folded (stuff a towel in there), wood against wood above driver area squeaks (disassemble and wrap all wood with felt tape), on and on, but the rear mouse squeak has been the most frustrating.

-- Geoff