Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #11

Good news! I was able to find a larger screw that fit perfectly. It's all installed now, looks good, and feels solid.

Chams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Better to use Plus Nuts or Cross nuts in the sheet metal vs the RivNuts. You can use the same setting tool if you get a longer threaded bolt to reach the threads which are a bit further down the shaft of the Plus Nut. much more secure and easier to install.
The plus nuts look more secure, I'll have to check those out for the rest of my build. The inner and outer layers of the Econoline vans are pretty close together, though. I was already worried that the rivnut tool wouldn't be able to get deep enough before hitting the outer layer.
Chams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chams View Post
Good news! I was able to find a larger screw that fit perfectly. It's all installed now, looks good, and feels solid.
Great news, now pull it and Loc-tite it and reinstall.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Great news, now pull it and Loc-tite it and reinstall.
Blue Loc-tite if doing this
Old 05-05-2021, 04:31 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Better to use Plus Nuts or Cross nuts in the sheet metal vs the RivNuts. You can use the same setting tool if you get a longer threaded bolt to reach the threads which are a bit further down the shaft of the Plus Nut. much more secure and easier to install.

https://www.pointsunknown.com/blog/2...s-vs-plusnuts/

Attachment 39614
That video takes the long way around properly installing what's now called "plus nuts". I've found using a combination of grade 8 hex head bolts of different lengths along with a McMaster tool: https://www.mcmaster.com/96349A305/ is easier for me because closing the tool shown is more awkward than using a small impact driver along with a single open end wrench
to set the plus nuts.

I'll add that guy's method can slightly deform the first few threads of the plus nut due the short engagement of the tool's threaded mandrel. My method involves initially using a bolt long enough to fully engage the plus nut's threads, draw it up until that bolt bottoms out. Change bolts to a shorter one and continue drawing the plus nut until its fully collapsed with a tight grip

I've been using that tool and my improvised method for just about 14 years now. The only failures are those I create myself.

Just another idea to consider..............
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote