Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #1

Help - hood release cable broken

Any suggestion on how to open the hood on my 1989 Ford E150 SMB? The remote hood release cable is not releasing the latch so the hood will not pop up to allow the safety catch to be disengaged.

Have looked in the service manual but could not find anything about opening the hood when there is a broken hood release cable.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #2

Re: Help - hood release cable broken

Not sure if the cable is REALLY broken. I have had mine get sticky and release lever gets floppy like the cable were broken. Pushing down on the hood front would many times reset it. Once of twice I would push down on hood while wife pulled the lever and that would release the catch. Then WD-40 posthaste.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

FIRST try exactly what is described above ^^^. If that fails and you suspect the cable to be stretched or damaged , you can try to manipulate the lever in the hood latch mechanism manually with a screwdriver or you can find a convenient location to sever the hood release cable ,strip back a few inches of the outer sheath then grasp the actual cable with locking pliers and pull to actuate the locking mechanism. note - You "MAY" be able to remove the grill with the hood in the closed position . (in order to gain better access to the hood latch mechanism ).
Old 08-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #4

Garage

I would try that, too, but if you want to lube the cable use a real lubricant. WD40 is not a lubricant.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. Used a tie down strap to hold the hood release lever back and then used a screwdriver to push the catch out of the way. Found that the cable was still good. Turned out that the last time the hood was open the hood support rod was stowed to the left, adjacent to the hood latch, instead of the right. This cause the the hood latch to bind and not release.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #6

Good to hear you got it fixed.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:27 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Good news on getting the hood open----now time to do a bit of PM to keep that cable release healthy........

Lube the latch itselt liberally using a spray lube like white lithium grease, working it into any metal-to-metal contact areas. Manipulating the latch itself helps get the lube into the smaller tighter places.

Make sure the cable protruding past the latch is lube'd too. With the hood opened pull it a few times making sure it moves freely. If it doesn't it might be time to plan on replacing it at some point.

If the lube job and proper stowing of the prop rod does the trick you're good to go.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote