Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2021, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch Gravel View Post
Probably common knowledge(except for southerners like me) I lower my visors to keep some defrost heat on windshield.
Growing up Central NY where we get lots of snow, this use of the visor was one of the winter driving tricks I learned even before getting my driving permit.

Another trick is to monitor the outside temperature. If it’s colder than freezing it’s often better to not heat your windshield. The idea being that a cold windshield won’t cause the snow to melt and then later refreeze on the wipers. Much easier to deal with the cold dry snow. Some even open their windows to keep the interior temp chilly so as not to warm the windshield.

grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleSteve View Post
I have had a set of Thermalblade wipers on my van for three winters now they work really well at preventing frozen wipers while driving in the worst of conditions. Install was pretty easy and they have a built in thermostat so they are only on when near or below freezing temps. I spend my winters chasing powder to ski all over the western US and Canada. I drive in a lot of snow storms.
The only downside is the wipers don't work as well as premium blades in the rain.
https://www.thermalblade.com/
Thanks for that information.

I’ve considered installing Everblades heated blades as their wiper blades are made of silicone, so I’m hoping they’ll perform better.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
I have the same issues with ski season here now.
I briefly looked in it and was able to find an aftermarket windshield defrost grid. Looks like there are a few options. I haven’t ever installed one but my old, 2002 Subaru has a factory wiper heater grid and it does the job well.
I may try one on the van this winter.

This was exactly the path I initially considered. Seems most of the ice builds up down towards the cowl, and figured some defrost grids at bottom of windshield would work. I couldn't find any good links for a kit, and best I found was for a pickup rear window. If you can, please post a link for the kits you found!
1984 Dodge B250 Get-Away-Van camper conversion (sold)
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
RainX on the windshield and wiper arm components. Is the problem you're having while you're driving or while parked? I cover my windshield in snowy conditions.

My issues are while driving!
Old 01-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #15

Great feedback!

I grew up in snow and ice, but never heard of putting the visor down to trap heat. I'll give it a go.

I also sheepishly admit, that I hadn't considered using the washer fluid to combat the ice buildup. This seems like a no-brainer if it's a good anti-freeze solution. I'll get some good winter silicone wiper blades and try to keep the ice buildup at bay with heavy washer fluid use.

If that doesn't work, I may look into the heated blades that were mentioned.

Thanks for all the tips and advice!
Old 01-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #16

Also going to try upsizing both wipers to the 22" as mentioned in this thread:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...pers-2099.html
Old 01-07-2022, 09:59 PM   #17

I suggest you look at a few additional ideas to the other great ones posted above:

1- use the lowest temp rated washer antifreeze you can find. It will keep built up snow more like a slush than a crust. Buy it by the case and use generously.

2- they used to sell a 1/8” diameter coil of tubing you wrapped around the upper rad hose and then plumbed the antifreeze through it to heat it. No idea if they still exist.

3- spray wax on the build up area sheet metal and RainX the windshield

4- use the blend feature on the hvac system to always keep some air moving across the windshield. Avoid turning the heat on full hot and full fan and then off to modulate the temp. Slowly lower the temp to keep from boiling yourself, but leave the fan on high. It will help the side windows from fogging up and will lower the humidity in the van. It should also keep some heat in the glass.

5- buy new wipers every season. The modern ones even come with a white sheath over the wiping section to keep the UV rays off the blades to reduce degradation of the rubber before installation while they sit on a shelf. Beware the -45 degree antifreeze will eat the wipers as alcohol and rubber are natural enemies so replace yearly.

6- move to somewhere that doesn’t sell snow shovels

Stay safe.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:45 PM   #18

One of the options out there.

https://frostfighter.com/clear-view-...defrosters.htm
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote