Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #1

How to stop windshield wiper ice up?

As we head into full on ski season and winter van travel, I'm recalling my sufferfest with trying to keep my van wipers from freezing up. No matter what I've tried, I continually get ice buildup on the bottom, which then freezes up the entire wiper. I've tried blowing hot, cold, cracking window, etc, but none of my usual tricks seem to help.

Does anybody have any tried and true methods to overcome? Perhaps a certain wiper blade or setting on the HVAC controls that seem to work specific to a Ford E350?

Thanks for any advice!

1984 Dodge B250 Get-Away-Van camper conversion (sold)
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #2

Garage
Can resolve this dillema by driving the Van SOUTH!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

I have the same issues with ski season here now.
I briefly looked in it and was able to find an aftermarket windshield defrost grid. Looks like there are a few options. I haven’t ever installed one but my old, 2002 Subaru has a factory wiper heater grid and it does the job well.
I may try one on the van this winter.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #4

Hot defrost combined with RainX windshield washer fluid does the trick for me.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #5

I have had good luck with wipers that have a rubber covering. Helps keep the ice out. And a quality washer fluid with some anti freeze.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Can resolve this dillema by driving the Van SOUTH!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
Oh, sure---take the easy way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatvan View Post
As we head into full on ski season and winter van travel, I'm recalling my sufferfest with trying to keep my van wipers from freezing up. No matter what I've tried, I continually get ice buildup on the bottom, which then freezes up the entire wiper. I've tried blowing hot, cold, cracking window, etc, but none of my usual tricks seem to help.

Does anybody have any tried and true methods to overcome? Perhaps a certain wiper blade or setting on the HVAC controls that seem to work specific to a Ford E350?

Thanks for any advice!
The problem with wiper blades icing if they're outside----not a lot you can do inside the cabin to reduce or eliminate annoying and unsafe situation.

If there's an aftermarket heating grid sized to fit the parked wiper area that would be a good start but still no fully solving the problem.

I found a site: www.everblades.com that might suit this need. That brand is a "system" of sorts where you can replace the actual wiper blade without a huge expense or a purpose-built wiper assembly. They look so promising I might buy a set just to try. They look easy enough to install even for a novice DIY, YMMV though.

IF I install these I'd add a Wolsten Tech timer relay to prevent accidentally leaving them on for too long a time.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:21 AM   #7

Garage
RainX on the windshield and wiper arm components. Is the problem you're having while you're driving or while parked? I cover my windshield in snowy conditions.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #8

I have had a set of Thermalblade wipers on my van for three winters now they work really well at preventing frozen wipers while driving in the worst of conditions. Install was pretty easy and they have a built in thermostat so they are only on when near or below freezing temps. I spend my winters chasing powder to ski all over the western US and Canada. I drive in a lot of snow storms.
The only downside is the wipers don't work as well as premium blades in the rain.
https://www.thermalblade.com/
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:

Thanks for any advice!

The Silicone wipe pack these come with do the trick for me.

https://www.piaa.com/siliconewiperblades
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:42 PM   #10

Quote:

Thanks for any advice!
Probably common knowledge(except for southerners like me) I lower my visors to keep some defrost heat on windshield.
Scratch Gravel is offline   Reply With Quote