Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2022, 11:20 PM   #1

HowerBuilt - New Poptop Option?

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClVDHWxrZUp/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I know nothing about the company and can't find any info about this option on their website, but it seems this company is offering a DIY poptop kit for the E-series.

Looks like a beefy mechanism, but hard to tell from the lack of photos.

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:08 AM   #2

Yeah, he's been doing truck pop up campers for awhile. Interesting to see a new player in the van market. It looks very square, I'd love to see more pics.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:06 AM   #3

So the top surface is basically a giant skylight?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #4

I would consider that for a replacement of my current pop-top which has been a constant aggravation. (steel roof cracks, fiberglass pop-top cracks, zippers tearing away from vinyl, pivot bolts breaking, gasket replacements, gasket rivet gouging)
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:03 AM   #5

I can connect you w a couple of people in San Diego w CCV tops. We have many people who have brought their SMB's in for swap to a CCV pop top. We can fix the roof tears too.

Ping me if interested.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:16 AM   #6

I visited HowerBuilt this summer. They had a finished truck topper with pop top ready to deliver that evening. Looked well built and lift mechanism seemed very beefy. Definitely gives another option to van owners though. Seemed like good guys based on my ~30 minute visit.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:22 PM   #7

I contacted Hower Built with a SMB replacement question and while they have not done one, they thought they could. I guess as long as the SMB hole is smaller. He sent me back two pictures on their current E-Series build. It looks like the roof is a composite material. I'll have to upload them and edit or post another message .
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
Old 12-08-2022, 05:28 PM   #8

Howerbuilt pop top. (Not my van)
Old 12-09-2022, 06:27 AM   #9

The roof looks to be 1" honeycomb fiberglass just like what I had with a Super Pacific pop up truck camper. It is a great option for tops if totally flat which is my chief complaint of this top, doesn't flow very well on an E-series.

On the upside, it's translucent and lets in a nice bit of daylight.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #10

The only benefit I am seeing is potentially higher weight lifting specification for roof loads ?? I can easily see this top as very applicable on a Taco or other pickup, but not an E Series.

Considerations:
Lifting mechanism on outside and in the middle narrows the sleeping width.
Translucent top - what happens when insulation is added?
Overhead Lighting?
Maxx Fan wiring?
Solar panel?
Dirty roof?
Top does not utilize space over the cab nor does it extend fully aft.

re: SMB retrofit - I will be very surprised if this works without having to add back sheet metal and maybe bracing. SMB's full cut out extends very near to the back. This top looks to come up shy of where the SMB cut is to the rear. It is hard to tell how much width HowerBuilt needs vs the SMB.

Just some thoughts.