Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #11

Re: Installing aftermarket windows... Can I do it?

Good write up. I installed a window earlier this year and the inner cut was a little nerve wracking. I ended up using a grinder and very steady hands. POR 15 or similar was also a good choice. (I had some Eastwood rust preventative left over from a past project.) My only issue was that I bought my window off of eBay and did not have a template. That would have made my install much easier.

Here is a link to my install: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ucs-lar ... st-9112599

Made my own template: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ucs-lar ... st-9100466 It was close, but a factory template would have saved me tons of work and time.

89srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Even though I've owned a body shop and pretty handy with most any tools cutting into an otherwise perfect body can be stress inducing--just something about that first leap on a journey that can't be reversed once begun.

As already noted the info here can be immensely helpful and nothing but nothing beats planning and preparation. Outside of dedicated full time conversion companies the call for adding or replacing windows in cargo vans is sparse otherwise I (being in the auto glass biz already) would do it for hire. More often than not DIY is just about the only way to achieve new glass.

In this case there's almost never a bad thread to read---even I learn something new each time out.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #13

Where are you located? If you are near Van Specialties maybe they could do the installs? Or, if you are near Colorado maybe Derek from Colorado Camper Van could install them. Derek installed the CRL windows in my van and did a good job on that part of the build.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote