Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

ISO E350 roof material

Hi, my E350 has some rust on the roof, I had it repaired once, but as has always been thought, there is no such thing as a "good" body shop and now I am going to have to take the task on myself.

there is a rusted spot that requires a patch, it would be easiest to just cut out the damaged area and weld in a replacement piece, damaged area is in the middle where there is nothing except for the normal shapes of the roof.

I would like to get a replacement piece about 24"x 24" any suggestions on where I could find this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

s.r.

riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #2

The roof is not flat. Easiest way would be to go to a salvage yard and cut out what you need.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #3

yes, the roof is not flat, issue I have is live in orange county california, not a lot of choices when it comes to going down to the junk yard and cutting a piece out.
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #4

LKQ Pick your Part near me in Stanton and Anaheim, CA 90680 are about 1 mile apart.

3 econolines at the Anaheim store and 1 in Stanton with good roofs. Wear your disposable shoes. The ground is a muddy greasy mess.
46 gal Transferflow tank, Agile RIP kit
longboardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #5

I have the roof of my van still on the side of my house from when I cut the hole for my pop top. You could come by and cut a piece of that out if you want. It is a 2003 E350.

Would help prove to my wife that it was worth saving and having to look at for the past 10 months.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #6

I love this community.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
I have the roof of my van still on the side of my house from when I cut the hole for my pop top. You could come by and cut a piece of that out if you want. It is a 2003 E350.
Sent you a PM Ben.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I love this community.
Its a good un fer shure!

Quote:
Riceburner if you go this route---very generous BenJJ BTW---make sure both the top and bottom sides of the welded patch are equally protected with a product like POR-15 in order to prevent rust from recurring.

There are many, many body shops one could consider as competent but as a former body shop owner very few potential customers are willing to pay the costs associated with proper repairs such as you're contemplating. (That's not bashing you, just sharing my experience.) The trick to locating a trustworthy body shop is visiting them for an in-depth conversation of their process and materials used.

Just as important perhaps would be their warranty offered. For the most part if they flatly refuse to offer anything that's a place best avoided--they don't trust their own skills and knowledge to stand by their work. Any offered warranty should be in writing and/or part of the final bill. Further a search of their reputation via the various anonymous or fully independent customer reviews would let you know how well such guarantees are honored.

Quote:
Would help prove to my wife that it was worth saving and having to look at for the past 10 months.
Wimmen---go figure huh? Ask about her shoe collection---how long you been looking at THAT?

(^^^ That's offered completely in jest and it would NOT create, foster or further domestic harmony! )
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #9

Also, Fiberine in Long Beach has stacks of E series roofs that they've cut out for their tops. I bet they'd let you hack off what you need.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Its a good un fer shure!

Riceburner if you go this route---very generous BenJJ BTW---make sure both the top and bottom sides of the welded patch are equally protected with a product like POR-15 in order to prevent rust from recurring.

There are many, many body shops one could consider as competent but as a former body shop owner very few potential customers are willing to pay the costs associated with proper repairs such as you're contemplating. (That's not bashing you, just sharing my experience.) The trick to locating a trustworthy body shop is visiting them for an in-depth conversation of their process and materials used.

Just as important perhaps would be their warranty offered. For the most part if they flatly refuse to offer anything that's a place best avoided--they don't trust their own skills and knowledge to stand by their work. Any offered warranty should be in writing and/or part of the final bill. Further a search of their reputation via the various anonymous or fully independent customer reviews would let you know how well such guarantees are honored.

Wimmen---go figure huh? Ask about her shoe collection---how long you been looking at THAT?

(^^^ That's offered completely in jest and it would NOT create, foster or further domestic harmony! )
The thing that gets me is the fancy workout classes, so expensive. Then you end up paying some absurd monthly amount and they never go... might as well go in the backyard and light money on fire every month.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote