Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #21

Re: Late Model Front End Conversion

Re-opening thread because someone just pointed me to it.

I'm gonna do this to the van I just bought. I really appreciate the earlier posts here.

There's a large Ford-stuff salvage yard not far from me where I expect to find an intact front end. JUST TO BE SURE that I buy right, I can use ANY late model year E-350, yes??

Color match isn't a issue because I'm painting whole thing, anyway. I'm having some work done on the engine and replacing the exhaust. Having all the front end off should make that easier for my mechanic. I don't need the OE bumper because an Aluminess is going on. I also have to replace the broken windshield. All in all, this looks like a doable deal.

I don't understand about the headlights. Are there 2 types in OE? Which is better?

JC
99.5 RB cargo 7.3 350

Old 11-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTex
I don't understand about the headlights. Are there 2 types in OE? Which is better?
See this thread for pics of the two OE headlights: '08 headlight question...

I prefer the look of the one-piece headlights, but difference in cost is huge if you ever have to replace one. Not sure if there are technical differences in terms of light output.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 11-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #23

Wellllll, this may not be as easy as I thought.

I checked my salvage source who can check all yards nearby; and I checked Car-Part.com. Amazingly, there's not a single, clean front end for a late-model Ford van ANYWHERE in Texas. There's one in St. Louis; but the price approaches buying p&p off the internet. I learned that yards just don't get these vans very often.

I did find the most expensive part, the hood, on the net for ~$250 savings but would be taking a chance if sprung, etc. So, may do new, anyway.

I did what unimogdave has already done and scoured eBay. I think between there and Carparts.com, I'll just buy the p&p. The other large $ item is the bumper, which I don't need. I just received my Amazon used copies of the shop manual and wiring book. Hopefully, those diagrams and some wrench friends will help me figure out what to order.

JC
99.5 RB cargo 7.3 350
Old 11-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #24

it is more due to the age. For it to be in a junk yard, the vehicle most likely was pretty smashed up to not make it worth putting back on the road. And front ends are most likely to be the reason it is in the junk yard in the first place.

I personally have had good luck with Certifit (commonly known as sorta-fit) I would check them out for the parts.
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #25

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Not sure if there are technical differences in terms of light output.
Yes, difference is great. The solid piece type have a clear glass. Light output is much brighter.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Personally I would be wanting to change my newer style back to the classic pre-2008 look. When I first saw the 2008, I thought it looked like the south end of a horse going north. I couldn't imagine what Ford designers were drinking. I still think that.
Anybody with the 2008+ front end want to swap parts????