Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #11

Re: Leaking barn door window repair

Thank you so much for the detailed step by step. I bought some generic butyl tape for the spares kit but I will seek out the 3M Window Weld for this project, doesn't sound too hard and it will be good to know how to do it down the road. Perhaps Window Weld in the spares kit too! (Ever growing, it's certainly possible to take lots of things for a multiyear trip, and what to take in the way of tools, recovery gear, etc, is a real balance of space and weight).

Cheers!
Josh

pbjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #12

Heya JWA,

Thank you again for your advice, and thank you for advice on Ford Trucks Enthusiasts too, they have been very helpful too! Just reading through this again, have some 3/8 bead 3M Window Weld on the way.

When you talk about tightening the acorn nuts, this is the part that worries me the most. I understand about not twisting the window and tightening progressively the various nuts. If I understand correctly you're talking about just using a handheld screwdriver handled 10mm nut tool? I can still crank on those pretty darned well so I imagine even there, some caution is necessary with respect to how much to tighten? I have a decent feel for torque by hand based on years of installing climbing bolts (expansion anchors into rock require a rough understanding of torque and a reasonable approximation of the appropriate torque). It sounds like something very moderate like 10 lb ft is appropriate? Can you see the Window Weld spreading/deforming if it goes correctly?
Old 02-02-2015, 05:07 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

You're on the right track again Josh---glad to help or have helped!

Yes on the acorn nut tightening tool and process. I also have fairly strong hands and can/have been a bit too eager tightening those nuts so have learned my lessons from the resulting breakage. If they're drawn down evenly, a few 1/4 turns each time on each nut will get this done easily enough, no breakage.

Assuming you have "warm" days of at least 70* F the Window Weld is compliant enough to squeeze out, not really requiring a huge clamping force to be effective. (As a butyl sealant it adheres to whatever it touches, being a solid sealant gives it its sealing properties.)

Once the windows and spacers are removed you'll see how the OEM sealer was applied. Channels in the spacer are designed for this sealer and allow the round cross section to spread out as its compressed via the mounting bolts & acorn nuts. The door shell flange and naturally the glass are both very smooth surfaces, the spacer channels controlling the sealant action as its all tightened and drawn down to mate up.

The only real way to view the squeezing effect would be from the inside as you're tightening the acorn nuts, from that same side. I'd not use a 3/8" ribbon sealer---too large. I prefer instead 3M's 08610, 1/4" OD because it's more than sufficient and is less risk of breaking the glass. Honestly a 3/16" sealer would do this job perfectly.

Your experience with feeling and paying attention to torque rising as a fastener is tightened will serve you well here. I'm not trying to scare you off this job but slow and steady wins this race. When I've explained this in the past here I've recommended anyone the least bit skittish or unsure about this as a DIY project use a high quality exterior grade silicone sealant/adhesive due it's almost infinite ability to conform to surfaces with little or no real clamping force required. Here's an example: http://www.caulkyourhome.com/sealing...and-energy.php

IF there is any breakage I can possibly arrange a new part purchase with my discount. Hopefully that won't be necessary but a phone call would be the ticket if and when. Not trying to jinx you, just trying to cover all the bases.

You'll do fine with this I'm sure!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #14

Whoops, 1/4" Window Weld now on the way, thanks

I saw the glass on eBay when I started looking around, I imagine it shouldn't be TOO hard to come by, should I pooch this well enough.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:16 AM   #15
JWA

It occurred to me in a dream to ask: "what's the plan removing the glass to reseal them?"
Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #16

Following suggestions here, I plan to pull the nuts off and use some combination of a putty knife on the pinch weld side and/or a piano or similar wire to separate the existing butyl/sealant from the pinchweld. Once the window is out it should be easier to safely remove the sealant from the window, then ultimately the sealant from the spacer. For cleaning, I have a variety of solvents as well as goo-be-gone and similar cleaning products, some bug and tar remover, something will work I imagine...
Old 02-05-2015, 03:54 AM   #17
JWA

The putty knife inserted between the door shell and spacer is the best bet. Using a wire wouldn't be advised given how all these bits fit together.

While gently prying the spacer/glass away from the door completely remove the two lower bolts, keeping all parts together. Loosen top two acorn nuts almost all the way off but still on the bolts in case the window suddenly falls loose.

I think you've got this pretty much in hand and ready to go. Let us how it works out once done.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:22 AM   #18

Garage

^^^ agreed. the wire method wont work all that well due to the threaded studs getting in the way.

ive found that the factory butyl tape is easier to break seal on when its colder out. when its warmer, it gets the long tar stringys trying to hold on to both the door and the window frame. all ive ever used was a large flathead driver to separate. just pry slowly and work your way around a little at a time.

for removing the old stuff off the window frames i just rolled it off with a putty knife and my thumb. i tried a few solvents but it just broke the stuff down and made a nasty black mess.

definitely dont overthink it. the process is very straightforward. use the tips people listed in this thread and youll be done way faster than you assume. if you still arent sure, take some tools to a local pick and pull and figure out how to do it on a junker van. that way if you mess something up, no one will care
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:44 AM   #19
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
If you still arent sure, take some tools to a local pick and pull and figure out how to do it on a junker van. that way if you mess something up, no one will care
Ah HA---so you're the one responsible for all that broken glass I see!

Actually that's a good idea plus in the process you could snag up the mounting hardware too, keep 'em around for spares. OR refinished the heads with an epoxy paint, Plasti-Dip or POR-15 to keep them from creating streaks on the glass.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #20

Garage

^^^ lol! surprisingly, i have yet to break any glass...even when i was trying that firemans trick

im actually the idiot that takes things apart and sets them nicely in the back of whatever im taking apart so that when all the destructive ******** get in there they can just grab what they want and leave. irks me to no end when people break everything in their way to remove a part....
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote