Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

leaks from rain gutter on Ford e350

I seem to have a couple of small leaks right above windows on my e350, but i don't think they are coming from the windows themselves. My van is dark blue and like many Ford vans i have seen, i have cracked/oxidized paint in my rain gutters. This can't be seen unless you crawl up on the roof, but i'm wondering if i should just seal them with some sort of lap sealant? Color isn't a huge issue though i would prefer to NOT use white. Gray or a dark color would be best, and i'm wondering what folks have used since this seems to be a common Ford problem. FYI, i DO NOT have rust there. I know i would need to address it differently if i already had a lot of rust, but i think i have noticed this in time to just add a sealant of some kind.
Ideas?
I have experience with Vulkem and Parbond which are both gray/aluminum lap sealants used in Airstream campers, and could try one of them, preferrably Vulkem, but as luck would have it, i'm out of that one.
Anyone had any luck with something easily available from Lowe's or Home Depot?

thx

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #2

Re: leaks from rain gutter on Ford e350

Permatex makes a black 2-part flexible epoxy body filler for flexible parts. I have used it on my fenders with great results. I think it would work in the gutters as well. You don't want to use a rigid sealant. It needs some give like the factory sealant, otherwise it will probably crack over time with temperature changes.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

spray stuff

I wonder if that liquid rubber stuff would stick? Maybe a light coating of the permatex spray then some of the rubber? At least they make a few colors to look at.
USP

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #4

leaks from rain gutter on Ford e350

I'd use Vulkum (sp?) its used on semi trailers and it works very well. Comes in gray/silver and white.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #5

Thx guys, think i am gonna go with vulkem. Looks like somebody on Amazon is selling it in colors now! Oh, and it's not rigid, it never completely hardens. It's a polyurethane sealant used for campers and such, and it holds my (and many) Airstreams together.

Yes, silver e350, i've seen it spelled both ways, but it appears it is actually Vulkem on the package.

Thanks, i'll post how it turns out.

Also, for those who might ever stumble across this and try this product to seal up something. It is awesome AND possibly the messiest stuff i've ever touched. You will wind up with it EVERYWHERE, and it likes to stay there. Perfect for filling leaks and makes a great wearable accessory for guys days after it's use.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Tremco-Vulk ... CRGCA4E4N3
Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
spray stuff

I wonder if that liquid rubber stuff would stick? Maybe a light coating of the permatex spray then some of the rubber? At least they make a few colors to look at.
USP
Hmm, interesting. Never seen that stuff before. I sure am glad i don't live on Catalina Island!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

Please reply if this takes care of your leak. I have the same problem with my 05 E350. I had the windshield replaced hoping doing so would fix the problem. Upon removing the gasket around the windshield, you could tell the problem was something else. The oringal windshield had a perfect seal around it, no way was it leaking.
Thanks
Dwight
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #8

Well, i have a pretty nice, sealed up raingutter now all the way around, but that wasn't the problem. My van is a club wagon (passenger model), and the leak is actually from the top of one of the long side windows towards the rear (just under the rain gutter). I have gooped it with silicone and it is not leaking that i can tell now.