Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #11

I've always thought that if I was to drop off my van and a blank check at UJoint to upgrade axles I'd just go all in, including ARB Lockers. I really like the idea of the OX simplicity but I wouldn't want to give up the floor space up front for the levers. This is all just dreaming for me and not a priority.

All I hear from my Jeep / Toyota friends lately is Yukon air lockers, Yukon, Yukon. Upon quick internet investigation they look like rebranded ARB. Is there a difference or is it slick marketing? Just curious if anyone knows the truth.

Edit: Haven't the Yukon air lockers been around for a decade already? I'm suspicious why all of a sudden the chatter has increased lately.

- Eric

ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:50 AM   #12

It's my understanding that most "Yukon" branded parts are made overseas (and I don't mean Australia) and "assembled" in the USA. Word on the streets is that it's common practice to slap the ol' "Made in USA" sticker on anything if greater than 50% of the product's "value" was added here... in other words, if you buy in bulk from China (or wherever) for $150 per unit, put your sticker on it and sell it for $400, it qualifies. I have only heard good things about their products, but I still view most of them as knockoffs.

I have a Detroit No-Spin (the "real" Detroit locker) and 35 spline chromoly full float Dutchman axle shafts in my 2wd EB350 and would buy exactly the same again in a heartbeat. There's a lot to be said for not having to plan ahead to lock/unlock your diff when a situation gets tricky. In a 2wd, if you wait until your open diff starts leaving you hanging, banging in the locker (if it'll even engage under load) may not get you out of trouble whereas if it was already locked you would be more likely to be fine.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:42 AM   #13

Garage
is that quote with a new ring and pinion too? some shops wont go that deep into that job and not replace those items.

keep in mind that parts have gone way up in price over the last 2 years. seriously, quotes are good for that day only anymore. ive seen parts go up $50.00 just over a weekend within the last year and that was a $125.00 part...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #14

M3bassman, u prolly did! I live in eagle!
happycampingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #15

Thanks all

Thanks for all the info everybody!!
happycampingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:26 PM   #16
KDB

ARB air locker installed on rear 3-4 years ago and no issues. Have only used once.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Installed ARB air lockers front and rear in my 2007 E350 14 years ago. Been very happy with them - not one problem so far. Only had to use them a few times - but they made all the difference.
ARB... ITs really the best bang for the Buck..
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #18

Happy Camping Couple - I sent you a Private Message. Check your inbox.
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #19

It's all about amount of use and maintenance, oil change, hot rear end temps on driving, towing and more. I for one would put one in only if it was given to me, otherwise no thanks. The cost for all the components needed is too much for starters. I've been on the trails too many times when the air lockers fail. Seals, compressor, air line pinch or fold Crack brittle and not realizing it then you throttle on an obstacle thinking your locked and the tire spins and there goes an axle. Mechanical is the way to go then electric then LSD with Air being last.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
It's all about amount of use and maintenance, oil change, hot rear end temps on driving, towing and more. I for one would put one in only if it was given to me, otherwise no thanks. The cost for all the components needed is too much for starters. I've been on the trails too many times when the air lockers fail. Seals, compressor, air line pinch or fold Crack brittle and not realizing it then you throttle on an obstacle thinking your locked and the tire spins and there goes an axle. Mechanical is the way to go then electric then LSD with Air being last.
Exactly what I'm thinking. Can't get any simpler than a cable actuated Ox locker.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote