Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Keep in mind the extendable mirrors are designed mostly for towing, giving the driver a wider field of view when needed, can be retracted when not towing.

I too at first thought they'd be great but the area of the actual mirror plus that useless lower convex element just don't improve rearview vision enough to make converting pre-2003 doors to fit the later 4 bolt versions.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Keep in mind the extendable mirrors are designed mostly for towing, giving the driver a wider field of view when needed, can be retracted when not towing.

I too at first thought they'd be great but the area of the actual mirror plus that useless lower convex element just don't improve rearview vision enough to make converting pre-2003 doors to fit the later 4 bolt versions.

I put them on my van, not sure if I would like them better than the stock units......turns out I like them a lot more. The stock small passenger one's "objects are closer than they appear" was extreme and drove me nuts.

I find the convex and upper mirrors very useful on the new setup, although the big glass does vibrate more than the old ones, and the tow mirrors are factory ford as far as I know.

Turns out I just stayed in hotel by the airport in Toronto last week, and it came with two pairs of ear plugs.......so where do I stick these....behind the upper glass?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #13

A little more spendy than the E bay mirrors, but far better in all around quality, I just bought a set for my F250, no disappointments.
https://www.1aauto.com/search?words=...UaAvUCEALw_wcB
FVShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post

Turns out I just stayed in hotel by the airport in Toronto last week, and it came with two pairs of ear plugs.......so where do I stick these....behind the upper glass?
You have to stick them at the edge to make them useful. I put one near the bottom outer edge, and the other near the top.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I put them on my van, not sure if I would like them better than the stock units......turns out I like them a lot more. The stock small passenger one's "objects are closer than they appear" was extreme and drove me nuts.

I find the convex and upper mirrors very useful on the new setup, although the big glass does vibrate more than the old ones, and the tow mirrors are factory ford as far as I know.
To be sure most of us will have or develop a personal preference for RV mirrors---truth be told I sincerely miss those from the 2002 and earlier with one large element, a bit wider than the 2003 and later stock versions. Over a few years I've become fond of the 2008 and later single element mirrors, those having replaced the lower convex element. Adding an NAPA spot mirror gives both sides quite a wide field of view. The passenger side's convex option is a huge improvement too.

If someone is really interested in the factory-like extendable tow mirrors they're all over eBay, some aftermarket and some genuine OEM. The ones shown in the link from 1aauto.com are possibly made by Kool-Vue, also on eBay. Those tend to be fairly nice quality, close to OEM but not quite as pricey if bought brand new.

At some point perhaps yet this summer I'll be experimenting with this sort of system: https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...d-back-up.html. The side view cameras are of high interest since they can be located where ever is convenient and would give the driver the best rear view they seek. If I'm to go this route I'd install them on the stock mirror housings or somewhere on my fiberglass raised roof.

Do keep in mind I never tow anything but really demand a full field of rear view especially during bad weather.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote