Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
^^xcnick, do you already have a thread showing the AC mod? If not, please start one with more pics and details. People are always asking about this. A separate thread would be a great resource.
I was just thinking the same thing.

Herb

Old 07-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
^^xcnick, do you already have a thread showing the AC mod? If not, please start one with more pics and details. People are always asking about this. A separate thread would be a great resource.
Done, but the only mod is the hole in the plate holder.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #13

I have an RV roof-top AC, and while it works well and is generally out of the way, it does add weight very high up.

My most recent camping trip involved a couple stretches of side-hill that made me pretty nervous. I didn't tip over, but I'm not sure I could have stopped on one section without it doing so. Probably a trail I should have skipped with this van...

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
My most recent camping trip involved a couple stretches of side-hill that made me pretty nervous. I didn't tip over, but I'm not sure I could have stopped on one section without it doing so. Probably a trail I should have skipped with this van...

I think most vans actual tip-over limit is actually well beyond most driver's pucker limit. And typically you're lateral grip limited anyways unless you slide against an obstacle. Even a heavy high top camper should have a cG well under 40", and with an 80" track width (more like 84-86" with bigger tires) it theoretically could sidehill a 1-1 slope and not tip.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I think most vans actual tip-over limit is actually well beyond most driver's pucker limit. And typically you're lateral grip limited anyways unless you slide against an obstacle. Even a heavy high top camper should have a cG well under 40", and with an 80" track width (more like 84-86" with bigger tires) it theoretically could sidehill a 1-1 slope and not tip.
I was sliding towards a stump at the time. Puckered pretty hard. Kind of wish I had someone get a photo so I could correlate the in-van-feeling with reality.

Doesn't help that I watched a truck flip off the side of a trail earlier this year. So I'll concede that I might be more nervous than I need to be at the moment.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #16

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
The Pucker-O-Meter will always make it seem way worse than it is - that known, you can still get in trouble with one little bump in the wrong place. Makes it all the more fun!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
The Pucker-O-Meter will always make it seem way worse than it is - that known, you can still get in trouble with one little bump in the wrong place. Makes it all the more fun!
As long as it isn't a Code Brown moment.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #18

The bit that got me is that it really felt like it was lifting up on the outside wheel and wanted to keep going. Without a picture I'm totally willing to accept that it was all in my head. As it was I hurried up and got past that spot with some good bouncing.

However, I did see a full sized pickup roll earlier this year. It went over way before I thought it would. So that still has me a little spooked.

All that does have me re-thinking weight on the roof. I have quite a bit of lift in the front, which obviously doesn't help.

Regardless, sorry to de-rail the thread, I'm kind of in love with that portable setup that xcnick has running of the inverter.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
How do you plan on powering a household air conditioner?
Because we all know solar power isn't up to the task yet unless you want to spend $25K or are you going to run the vehicle with a large inverter to power the unit ? Or are you going to get a generator?
The reason why I ask is if you're going to run the vehicle just use the factory air conditioning. If you're going to run a generator, why not get a roof mounted unit and avoid the hassles of cutting the sides of a van and making contraptions to slide in and out which will compromise interior space.

Well your idea sounds intriguing, but I find many faults with it. Sorry to be blunt and honest but just trying to help you make better decisions
I have a EU3000 which is overkill. Been looking at a 2000 and mounting it in a door box.

xcnick's idea is something I am going to look into....that is slick
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #20

The problem with my idea is the portable takes up isle space which I can live with, but it makes it hard to use the drawers on either side of it which makes it even more a space hog. I would gladly give up the space for the porta potty to a window or through the wall unit. Also I found a you tube from consumers report which says all portables are crap compared to window units.

I always thought the window units cut into the back door looked terrible with the cardboard duct taped around it, but I now am beginning to see this as a pretty good idea, minus the cardboard.

Anyways I posted in my thread "Portable A/C" about today's adventure. The 8000 was useless in hundred degree heat and bought a 10000.

See the picture of where I mounted my 2000 genny. It is working well there between the motorcycle and the van.