Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #1

Metal Roof Crack From Penthouse Opening

Has anyone experienced cracking of the roof starting at the penthouse opening? It does not look good. I'll be contacting SMB West Tuesday to see what can be done or is recommended.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Metal Roof Crack From Penthouse Opening

I'm having a difficult time putting that picture in the proper context, as far as where it really is. Do you have a picture from farther back?

The crack actually looks like interior SMB wallboard. Also, is that rust or mold in the lower lefthand corner?

Herb
Old 05-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
I'm having a difficult time putting that picture in the proper context, as far as where it really is. Do you have a picture from farther back?

The crack actually looks like interior SMB wallboard. Also, is that rust or mold in the lower lefthand corner?

Herb
Always too brief, sorry, that is the exterior van roof above the driver looking at the extended penthouse canvas and its juncture with the van roof. In other words the left front corner of the penthouse as seen from outside. The crack is rusted, which amazes me because 1 month ago I went around and cleaned the entire area and didn't notice it. The penthouse black sealer has diffused out and collected some dirt. It is not mold. So Cal desert & river trip heat is tough on petroleum products!
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Wow..... that is scary looking. Is there anything close to that on the interior?

How far from the crack to the J-hook latch-down loop?

IIRC there is a supplemental heavy-duty strip of metal added to the side lips of the PHT opening. Could that strip be ending near that crack?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #5

I lifted up the fabric on the inside to see how the crack and penthouse track correspond. It is an inch or two forward of the end of it. I also now see a 1/4 inch long crack starting on the other side.
Pat O
Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Pat can you take a couple of other shots? Thanks

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #7

The old Broncos had a problem with this. No idea why it struck your van and not others. Best solution may be to have penthouse opening checked by SMB to make sure something didn't come loose with their work. I'd also have the frame inspected for any cracks that would allow unusual flexing.

After that, the only real fix is to weld and repaint. May be a little rugged looking after. There used to be an epoxy kit for the Broncos but they are long gone. There may be other things you can add to stiffen the frame. Others would know.

You might also check with the 4x4 van guys on Yahoo.

Good luck.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #8

A better long shot

Blurry but show how it humps

Blurry but shows it to be 1" long

My regular camera is broke, these were taken with my 2 MP GPS.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

PatO

I an anxious to hear what SMB has to say and to do about this.

I tried to look at McBeast to see where the reinforcement metal ends, but could not tell without some dissassembly.

I think I stick by mu suspiscions. I can see a curve to our PHT sides, almost a sag. I can see how there could be over time some stress at the end of that reinforcement.

Do you use the PH Bed?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
PatO

I an anxious to hear what SMB has to say and to do about this.

Do you use the PH Bed? Only for sleeping!

I'm happy to report that based on my description Sportsmobile will repair this under warranty. I was going to Santa Cruz on Thursday anyway so will swing by Fresno for an inspection and discussion of other work to be done. It will require a week of shop time so somewhat inconvenient to drive it up from San Diego and fly back and then pick it up later.

I'm not sure what you were thinking with regards to the PH bed. I would think that would be a minor somewhat static stress compared to loads I have carried in my Yakima roof rack or my 75# Hobie Mirage tandem kayak that just went 2200 miles on the roof in the last 6 weeks.

I would recommend to everyone who off-roads and carries roof weight to regularly inspect that area for cracks. I've also noticed that paint is falling off the rear gutter and it is quite rusted in a few small areas. I'm considering the LineX van roof treatment and will take care of that and the old failing tape solution to the rivet rubbing. You really have to stay on top of these beasts maintenance wise.