Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

Re: Monstaliner for penthouse?

Thanks; not my best effort because I was hurrying a bit but only the birds are going see the oopsies.

Might try it on some other spots if it wears well. I'm wondering if anyone has lifted the carpet in the cab footwells; might be a good place for it. Lotta jeep guys use it there. But sometimes there's so much junk under the carpet it isn't worth doing, or you have to lay down some plate to cover up stuff. Something I could quickly wash off that doesn't hold water would be nice. Ditto for the area just inside the side doors; I'd like a square area that's completely waterproof, maybe even draining through the floor, with just a slight lip that could function like a mini mud room.

BTW, they have GREAT customer service. I called the tech line once and got an owner on his cell. And they have many more colors than most of the bedliner companies (even "urine trouble").

Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #12

I put some around the footwells and certain areas under the rubber floor mat where water tends to pool. I also put some around the doghouse since that tends to rust a little too.

Let us know how the white holds up (yellowing, cracking, etc) I am thinking about doing it on my entire roof.

I agree on the good CS. They sent me a new gallon of the stuff to re-do my rockers, after a little prodding. Unfortunately, I am not looking forward to removing all the old, to replace with something that failed once already.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #13

I used their epoxy primer and it worked well. And lots of solvent...I'm still dizzy. It's always irritating that paint will peel off your carefully washed, sanded, solvent-washed, and primed surface...and then stick like crazy to stuff you don't want it on. Sheesh. I noticed that the very lower parts of my van have a very slightly textured surface, like it's a different finish. It took me years to even notice it.

But that sure doesn't explain what happened to you. I would have thought automotive primer would have worked. But seeing your post I erred on the side of caution and got theirs.

Rob
Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #14

Yup, they couldn't figure it out either. really all i got from them was, it must not be compatible.

What happened was, in the couple places I sanded through, I sprayed a little self etching primer. I then did a quick search on their big thread on the jeep forum and found out monstaliner doesn't stick to self etching primer. So I had some of the Omni 2k primer here (that I used under herculiner on my bumpers, with zero problems) so I sprayed that over much of the rockers. Thinking that it is a true automotive primer, everything should stick to it. I was wrong.

I have many areas that are loose and peeling all over the van. I spent an entire week prepping and taping to spray it on, and did inside the doors, inside under the mat in areas, and now it is peeling. I have a ton of tools and shelves in my van it would take me a day to just pull everything out again to re-do many areas that are peeling. Needless to say, I am not happy.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #15

Rob - Hows your Monstaliner looking a year later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
I went ahead and ordered a gallon of white tintable Monstaliner and did the penthouse top with it. Worked out fine. Had enough to do some of the rub areas on the van roof. Probably could have laid it on a bit thicker; I had ordered a spare quart just in case.

It's urethane and it's more like paving than painting, although the prep is sanding and priming. It's real thick and sets up quick; the wind picked up while I was doing it and that seemed to accelerate curing so I go some lumpy bits, not to mention some debris fell on the roof. But no one sees it up there so no biggie for me. The white seems to match pretty much.

It's a pretty hard finish. We'll see how it wears. My gelcoat had some minor cracking, and was started to get to that annoying dusty phase. This should last at least as long.

The gasket was a pain. Might have been easier to just clean the old one and reinstall it. Punching all those holes...yuck. I was surprised at how well the rubber in the old gasket had lasted. No cracks, still very pliable. I added a bit of silicone to the front and rear of the new one, and secured the front with some backing tape because I'd had some bending up there before. I had also put aluminum tape down to protect the rub areas; I'll probably need to do that again. But maybe if I stick some silicon lube there it won't wear through.

The Monstaliner is very sticky. Some of my masking went awry when the wind knocked the penthouse down a bit, and it got on it in a minor way. But it's sort of flexible, so it didn't even flake off. I could see doing the van floor when the vinyl that's there gives out. It has almost the same texture.

Pix:
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #16

Fine. Held up even under the penthouse where the rubber hits it. Sorta dirty now, but I don't clean the top that much. The stuff is really, really hard.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:16 AM   #17

Does a cheaper alternative to Monstaliner exist?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #18

Cheaper? Sure. It depends what you want. A bunch of rattle can paint is the cheapest, followed by rattle can bed liner type stuff. I use that on occasion on wear points and some bumpers and stuff. Not at all durable. And you generally get all the colors you want...if you want black.

And it depends what kind of coating you want. Generally urethane is a bit more pricey than epoxy. I prefer urethane (look it up to see if it's right for you). And texture: some products just use sand. Or rubber pellets. Remember this stuff is made for truck beds. And color is another issue, as well as fade in the sun. Some stuff, like epoxy, isn't as flexible as urethane. Depending on your application that might be good, or irrelevant. Urethane is preferred over epoxy for UV resistance as well; for truck beds many don't care but it might make a big difference to you on your penthouse roof.

And then there's application. The urethane types tend to go on pretty thick. Some like that, some don't. Other types may appear cheaper but give such a thin coat you may need more coats, especially if going to a lighter shade. And one big reason I went the way I did was that Monstaliner is roll-on. Frankly, I could have done a bit better job and rushed it a tad. But I'm sure glad I didn't do spray on; if a breeze came up in my driveway I woulda been screwed. If you can count on calmer, drier weather and the ability to cover everything around spray might work for you.

Make sure you check the prep requirements. Adherence is key to ALL this and you can't assume what you do for a standard paint job works for all these coatings.

In short, there are many variables. The difference in price, for me, was next to irrelevant. If you DIY you save so much over a service that even $50 one way or the other is insignificant, especially for an important project.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #19

I need to paint the fiberglass shell (bare gel coat) of a Toyota Sunrader motorhome but if I use paint then all the irregularities in the fiberglass shell will remain visible. I was thinking that Monstaliners thick orange peel finish would be perfect for hiding those irregularities. For a relatively small area like you did I can see how the difference in cost between Monstaliner and something similar is insignificant. However, the total materials cost to do Monstaliner on my 18' Sunrader is over $1000 verses about $300 for paint. So I'm wondering if there is another "bed-liner" type finish out there that rolls on thick and dries with a smooth orange peel finish like Monstaliner, comes in white (and won't yellow), adheres like crazy, and lastly, won't cost as much as Monstaliner. Does anyone know of an excellent but less expensive alternative to Monstaliner?
Old 04-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #20

You've probably seen the alternatives already: Raptor, Herculiner, etc. Still, the per gallon cost isn't tons cheaper; Raptor is like $25/g cheaper if I recall from when I did mine. That could save you some.

Maybe you could do paint on part of the vehicle, urethane on other parts? Do a two-tone so fade doesn't look horrible.

Some RV folks that don't get on top and don't have poptops use another even thicker more insulating application. We used it in AZ on roofs, Dicor, I think? Very flexy, maybe too much, but I think it works on gelcoat. That could save you some $$ as well.