Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #1

Monstaliner for penthouse?

Anyone use Monstaliner on their penthouse top?

My top is rather raggedy. No leaks, but the gelcoat has some insignificant cracking, and because of various contaminants it gets some mildew and other gunk going in the cracks, and I'd rather refinish the top before I have to.

I thought of using other bed liners, but spraying the top would be a pain where I live. Using a roll-on like Monstaliner seems better, although even that is gonna be a chore.

I also thought of doing the lower sides of the van, although my gut feeling is that a textured surface there might get even more obvious pin stripes than the ones I already have (the van is white).

Rob

Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #2

Re: Monstaliner for penthouse?

Bedliner shouldn't pinstripe. I have Herculiner on a bunch of old jeep parts, bumpers and stuff that got plenty of abuse and has sat for years outside. The real issue with Herc is it fades and turns to a chalky black. My inside herc is still nice and black however, so I imagine it's a UV issue (which seems rather bad now that I think about it).
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #3

This Monstaliner is supposed to be more impervious to UV. On the sides of the van it's gonna get less sun anyway, and at this point the paint will probably start going before the liner (2001 van). Less apparent on white anyway, and the nice thing about an older van is that lots of stuff is all fading together, so at least it matches
Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #4

I haven't done that, but I just used monstaliner on the bottom rockers of my van. I have been thinking about doing my entire roof in the white for different reasons, but no reason why it won't work. There is a huge thread on it in a jeep forum, might look there for answers.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrewers
I haven't done that, but I just used monstaliner on the bottom rockers of my van. I have been thinking about doing my entire roof in the white for different reasons, but no reason why it won't work. There is a huge thread on it in a jeep forum, might look there for answers.

Brew
Do you have any pictures? How is it holding up on your rockers?
Home built interior(soon to come)
Gonejpn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

To be honest, not good. It has started to peel off in a lot of areas and needs to be re-done. I am wishing I would have just gone with herculiner since I have had good luck with that in the past.

There were a few spots where I sanded through the finish prepping for the liner. I used a 2k Omni automotive primer on these spots, and this is where the liner is peeling off. Being an idiot, I also sprayed the primer in a few spots just for a good base for the liner. Of course this means the liner isn't sticking there either. So the product might be good, just isn't compatible with the primer I used. Herculiner has stuck to anything I have sprayed it on.

I did everything by the book and didn't skimp anywhere. It is a very hard finish, really kinda reminds me of the shell on an M&M. Not soft and pliable like herculiner.

Brew
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

It is probably sticking to the primer - the primer just isn't sticking to the surface.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #8

Nope.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #9

I went ahead and ordered a gallon of white tintable Monstaliner and did the penthouse top with it. Worked out fine. Had enough to do some of the rub areas on the van roof. Probably could have laid it on a bit thicker; I had ordered a spare quart just in case.

It's urethane and it's more like paving than painting, although the prep is sanding and priming. It's real thick and sets up quick; the wind picked up while I was doing it and that seemed to accelerate curing so I go some lumpy bits, not to mention some debris fell on the roof. But no one sees it up there so no biggie for me. The white seems to match pretty much.

It's a pretty hard finish. We'll see how it wears. My gelcoat had some minor cracking, and was started to get to that annoying dusty phase. This should last at least as long.

The gasket was a pain. Might have been easier to just clean the old one and reinstall it. Punching all those holes...yuck. I was surprised at how well the rubber in the old gasket had lasted. No cracks, still very pliable. I added a bit of silicone to the front and rear of the new one, and secured the front with some backing tape because I'd had some bending up there before. I had also put aluminum tape down to protect the rub areas; I'll probably need to do that again. But maybe if I stick some silicon lube there it won't wear through.

The Monstaliner is very sticky. Some of my masking went awry when the wind knocked the penthouse down a bit, and it got on it in a minor way. But it's sort of flexible, so it didn't even flake off. I could see doing the van floor when the vinyl that's there gives out. It has almost the same texture.

Pix:

Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #10

Monstaliner for penthouse?

Nice job. It looks good.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote