Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
My guess is that it's used when installing the dash at the factory using some type of locating fixture.

Why would it have a part number and be available as a replacement if it was a factory installation help fixture only? [emoji848]

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Why would it have a part number and be available as a replacement if it was a factory installation help fixture only? [emoji848]
. That’s a very good question 😕
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #13

I have it on my 2005 and thought it looked odd too. On my van, I think is the same on all of them, this pipe is behind the overly complicated sheet metal panel that is mentioned above. I have assumed that this pipe and the overly complicated sheet metal as well as the plastic panel are all part of the driver crash structure. The place where my knees will impact the dash at 20G's in a frontal impact, preventing my body from sliding out from under the seat belts, and wadding up in the foot well like a turducken complete with a fine dusting of corn starch powder from the airbag.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
wadding up in the foot well like a turducken
Had to look up "turducken". OMG that looks disgusting.
Attached Thumbnails
turducken-recipe-1809374-hero-04-dd08038f5a17411c9fea3060ef53c129.jpg  
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I have it on my 2005 and thought it looked odd too. On my van, I think is the same on all of them, this pipe is behind the overly complicated sheet metal panel that is mentioned above. I have assumed that this pipe and the overly complicated sheet metal as well as the plastic panel are all part of the driver crash structure. The place where my knees will impact the dash at 20G's in a frontal impact, preventing my body from sliding out from under the seat belts, and wadding up in the foot well like a turducken complete with a fine dusting of corn starch powder from the airbag.

- Eric
I have always assumed the same.

Wow, haven't heard 'turducken' in a few years.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
...my 2008 doesn't have that.....hmmmm
Doing a Google part number search seems that dodad was only used through 1997, no listing if its part of the 2008's and later.

It carries the designation "column cover brace".

If course 2008 was the new dash board so surely that has to figure in?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Doing a Google part number search seems that dodad was only used through 1997, no listing if its part of the 2008's and later.

It carries the designation "column cover brace".

If course 2008 was the new dash board so surely that has to figure in?

Do you mean 2007 for the last year?

Actually the 2008 has the old dashboard, but new front end sheet metal. 2008 also has old style seats. 2009+ is new dashboard, seats and plastic fuel tank (and maybe aluminum drive shaft).
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #18

My 2000 has that spike under the dash, so it went past '97.
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I was considering this, and concluded that dashes are removed and replaced on occasion (my parents had a Lincoln with a rattle that earned a warranty repair). So maybe this is available for that situation. Rotational self-alignment will occur if an angle-cut tube is pushed axially against another angle-cut tube. This is the mechanism I envision for some assembly process.

What I can’t imagine is this geometry being of any value in an injury prevention system. Spread out to reduce pressure and slow down to reduce impulse/accelerations are the name of the game. The spike would concentrate force and penetrate just like a hypodermic needle… I can accept that the sheet metal piece may be part of crash protection. Would sure be nice to confirm though.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:01 AM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Do you mean 2007 for the last year?

Actually the 2008 has the old dashboard, but new front end sheet metal. 2008 also has old style seats. 2009+ is new dashboard, seats and plastic fuel tank (and maybe aluminum drive shaft).
Well yes but I was parroting what the parts search revealed as far as years of fitment. Being honest I thought the new dash also began in 2008 so thanks for that info. FWIW my 2000, 2003 & 2005 E-Series all have aluminum drive shafts, not sure when that began though.

I'll be using my snake camera to see if this damn thing could be or is a brace for the driver's side trim panel---this is becoming distracting!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote