Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #1

New Here and looking for answers to a few questions...

Hey,

In March I purchased an 89 Ford Clubwagon and I am wanting to really make it into a travel/camp van for my family.
I also white water kayak so I will be using it for trips here in TN for that same purpose.

I have had the van gone through and had the Radiator, brakes, A/C, fluids all replaced. It is currently at the Mechanic as the Tranny overheated pulling our pop up camper. I am in hopes I didn't fry anything. once the tranny cooled and we put the needed fluid back in it traveled the 5.5hrs home without issue.

So I would like to do a few things to it. If you can help with any of these I would really appreciate it.

1. I would like to add an awning. I currently use a 10x10 ezup, but it is difficult for 1-2 people to setup.

2. It has a back bench that folds to a bed, but the middle bench doesn't. I usual remove it on trips. I would like to build a little kitchen/entertainment setup to go along the far wall when the bench is out. That means I need it to be removable when I need to haul 8 people.

3. It is a 2wd, but I would like just a little bit of clearance. does anyone make a 2" lift that isn't really expensive. I do use it to tow so blocks or anything like that isn't a good idea.

4. does anyone make a LSD for these? links?

5. I can't afford a pop top... I only paid 1100 for the van. But I thought about building a kayak rack that is a platform to add a tent to the top to use like those Aussie cartop tents. anyone done this to add space? Any good ideas to heat or cool this space(tent)

I am looking for a lot of DIY projects, but I am willing to buy on certain things.

Again the main purpose is for long trips with the family, tow a pop up and to haul kayaks when I go boating. The easier to live out of it the better.

Thanks,

Tommy

TCXJWAGONEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

Re: New Here and looking for answers to a few questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCXJWAGONEER
3. It is a 2wd, but I would like just a little bit of clearance.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #3

That could work... I sawzalled lots of Jeeps when I offroaded a bunch.

ANy other suggestions? THis site is freakin awesome. I have more projects now than I know what to do with.

Tommy
TCXJWAGONEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #4

Start reading and reviewing the ground up / home build section of the forum. More creativity and step by step details in there than you'll know what to do with!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #5

+1 on above, just read and look and ponder. Your removable kitchen/net ctr sounds neat, but difficult to make it removeable. Is this a standard length or long van?

Also, where are ya in Tn?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #6

Hi;

I think searching this site for the web link that's shows Sportsmobile's "Transformer" floor plan would be perfect for you.

Best use of a van and a camper all in one.

Regards,

Gavin