Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #11

Re: New Seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
Really like those. I used a stock bench so that it would be easy to remove but if those pull easy and adjust....

Did you find them at a Van converter? Do they have more?

Oh-yeah love the Bedliner floor. That is on my list for next summer.

Here are non-reclining fronts to match cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-S ... ccessories
Thanks for the seat link, but they are the 2010 style, the 2011 have the leather gathered in the middle. I have some for the front, but they are being a real bitch to fit at the moment, had to pull them completely apart to cut off some of the moving mechanisms and such.

I got them as conversion van take-offs. For some reason, Toyota has to put the seats in the van on the assembly line even if the van is ordered for a wheelchair conversion, then at the end of the line once inspected they are pulled out and the factory sell them off to a 3rd party.

They are on eBay and there are more, but the price has shot through the roof. I think they were asking $750 for a set of 2 seats. I got 4 seats for $1k. Looks like the asking price is now $1150 a set.

They are super easy to pull out, the pic below is the underside. Just pull that handle on the right with the 4 cables attached to it. There is a door-latch mechanism on each corner of the seat that clips into the rails. That handle just releases the latches.

If I was still running bikes in the back of the van, I'd make up some wheel chocks that also clip into the rails, it would be super simple, that way everything would be clip in and out.

It's worth doing the bed-liner, makes a big difference to noise.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #12

I was kind of thinking about the clip-in chocks. I use floor mounts for my Baxley chocks now.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #13

Quote:
I was kind of thinking about the clip-in chocks. I use floor mounts for my Baxley chocks now.

any pics of your setup??? I bought my van for racing next season... bought some etrack for part of my setup. I also use baxley chocks.
racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #14

I will take some pics tomarrow. I used a bolt in stainless socket (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MOTORCYCLE-WHEE ... 5ad993641a) that I threaded into a 14" log piece of 1/4x2in strip of stainless to anchor my baxley's. I have both Soprt chocks and LA Trailer chocks but only use the LA trailers in the van. I can put them in 3 different spots, Passenger side facing forward, Driver side facing aft, and center facing forward. for 2 bike I face one forward and one aft. For Dualsports and Dirt bikes I use Moto Cinch hold downs clipped into VersaTie Aluminum Track (Series 4) from www.macscustomtiedowns.com that run full length of the outside of the van on the first raised rib inboard from the wheelwells with a 4' length in the center that I can put the Moto Cinch for each side into. The Series 4 track is "T" shaped and when put on top of the floor rib I can trim my VanRug and tuck it under the lip. I am going to pull it all next summer and Bedline the floor and then put it all back in (with stainless hardware) for good. I REALLY like these Preivia seats so plans may change. Right now I have the Factory 3 place seat mounted in the door position and that would have to change...
Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
I got them as conversion van take-offs. For some reason, Toyota has to put the seats in the van on the assembly line even if the van is ordered for a wheelchair conversion, then at the end of the line once inspected they are pulled out and the factory sell them off to a 3rd party.

They are on eBay and there are more, but the price has shot through the roof. I think they were asking $750 for a set of 2 seats. I got 4 seats for $1k. Looks like the asking price is now $1150 a set.

They are super easy to pull out, the pic below is the underside. Just pull that handle on the right with the 4 cables attached to it. There is a door-latch mechanism on each corner of the seat that clips into the rails. That handle just releases the latches.

If I was still running bikes in the back of the van, I'd make up some wheel chocks that also clip into the rails, it would be super simple, that way everything would be clip in and out.

It's worth doing the bed-liner, makes a big difference to noise.
Can they be put in facing aft? this would be nice when I am at the races and sleep/camp in the van.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 AM   #16

With seats like that , who needs a bed? Very nice.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Can they be put in facing aft? this would be nice when I am at the races and sleep/camp in the van.
Not easily. The runners in the tracks have a larger bar in the rear that the seat base clips to. If you sink the seat runners into carpet like I have, then it's a pain to remove the moving part. But if you don't sink the runners in carpet, you could unclip the seat, remove the sliding part from the runners (just slide them out the end of the track) and reverse them, then clip the seat back in.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #18

Or it sounds like, leave an opening at each end of the track, as small rectangle without carpet, and you could remove and replace the runners.

I wonder, you could also make a plate with 4 latches and some casters- instant camp or tailgating recliner!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Or it sounds like, leave an opening at each end of the track, as small rectangle without carpet, and you could remove and replace the runners.

I wonder, you could also make a plate with 4 latches and some casters- instant camp or tailgating recliner!
Very good point. Also thinking about what I said, I'm not 100% sure the runners can be reversed in the tracks, I'd have to check, but I can't be bothered to pull up my carpet at the moment.

But you could always turn then around and just clip the back of the seats in (not the front), that would be fine for sitting and lounging around, but not secure enough for driving.

I am making a platform that will replace one of the seats, (clip in and out in the same manor as the seats) since I have a bunch of spare catches from the front seats. So on long trips I'll replace 1 seat with the platform and the mutt has a raised platform to sleep on, with storage under.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #20

I have finished the passenger front. As you know Ford left no legroom in the front passenger side. So I decided to fix this issue, the seat's most forward position is identical, but it's rear most position is 6" further back. My legs can't touch the firewall with it back that far. But this put's the seat back behind the B pillar, which is where the ford seatbelt is mounted. This makes the stock seatbelt useless. So I modified it so that the builtin Toyota seatbelt works with the Ford pre-tensioner that's linked to the airbag system, had to modify that and mount it up to the toyota base.

First I stripped the seat down to the base, and cut out everything I didn't need so the electric base could fit high inside the base. You can see some wood I used here as spacers to get the right height while mocking everything yup, and also to get the left / right position correct as the Ford seat mounting in the van are not central to the seat, so you need to shift everything over.

Then to mount the seat base onto the electric sliders I decided to use 3" angle that's mounted to the stock seat mounting holes (bottom of the seat) and then onto the slider. Cut the angle to fit all the protruding parts and welded spacers to make everything fir flush and tight, looks a mess but it's a perfect fit.

I made the base from 3x2 tube box section & 1.5" angle, used the Ford mounting points to bolt it to the floor.

Ford seatbelt pre-tensioner mounted up and all working so the charge in the long tube you see will pull the steel cable around the mounting hole and pull the seatbelt clasp down in the event the airbags go off.

All finished.
Seat is about midway here, and it's still behind the B pillar. Also need to get a better color match on the switch panel controls you see on the seat side.

Back as far as it'll go. The foot rest is a kind-a gimmick in the front, but it was easier to leave it working.

I need to make a skirt to go around the seat base and cover all the mechanical parts you see.