Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2020, 10:42 PM   #1

OEM Passenger Van Windows in Cargo Van?

2011 RB E-250 Cargo

I am adding a window to my cargo van, for the second row bench seat I already have installed. My passengers are complaining of getting nauseous with no view on the driver-side

My Question:

Has anyone here, ever used a driver-side, 2nd row OAM pop out / hinge style window in their cargo body van?

After shopping around online a bit, I felt a little underwhelmed. The new options for Econolines compared to what seems available specifically designed for other vehicles like a sprinter seem limited (especially these days).

I am familiar with some aftermarket options from CRL and Motion (open to links of anyones favorites). However, none seem to fit nicely within the body lines and at the hight dimension (~24") of the OEM windows.

Of the aftermarket options, I prefer the 20" windows that sit well within the body lines as apposed to the 33"+ windows that require going outside these lines. (photos below)

I recently upgrade my 60/40 side and rear doors with pop out / hinge style OEM windows, previously having all 4 fixed (HUGE upgrade and and fun project within itself.)

This got me wondering:

Could you pull a 2nd row OEM pop out window from a donor van with all associated trim and hinge hardware and install it in a cargo van?

I looked inside my van and there, at least seems to be the forms in the body where the 2 lower pop hinges could be be located. (phots below0

I photoshopped 2 vans together to see what this would look like (see below). Next time I am at a pick n pull I will see if I can get one out of a van and bring it home to, at the very least to see if it would be doable.

Reaching out here to see if anyone else has thought of, tried and found unviable, or was actually successful in doing this.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
window_compare.jpg   Random_Photoshop copy.jpg   OEMCARGO.jpg   MyVan.jpg  

JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:36 AM   #2

Garage
You’d need to cut the recessed area out of a passenger van and weld it into a cargo to make it work properly. Way too much work. Just buy the crl window pn VW21601L. It’s almost the exact same size as the window your referring to putting in.

Tried to post a pic from my build thread but apparently that’s no longer an option

Hit up member 1der for the best pricing you’ll get on a crl window.

Edit: found one in my album.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

Shenrie - appreciate the info - I figured it would be a lot of work - just not sure how much.

Thank you for the pn as well- it looks to be the size I was hoping for!

I have seen these on vans and like it a lot - initially I am only finding it as discontinued in my online search (dk hardware, nothing on CRL site)- but I will get in touch with 1der.

Thank you!
Old 04-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Shenrie touches on why this sort of swap or addition wouldn't be practical. The exterior body sides of the two different configurations are nothing alike despite the interior structures being identical. If you look at the glass installed in the doors the recesses there would be necessary for the body side glass as well.

As Shenrie says the CRL and similar aftermarket types are the best choice.

BTW I'm in the auto/truck glass biz. a former body shop owner and currently own no less than three E-Series vans.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #5

JWA - No doubt!

I appreciate you guys providing your experience and helping me think through it.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #6

CRL has distribution locations around the country. Might want to check to see if one is near you to save shipping.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #7

Closest CRL to Santa Cruz is Hayward. That is the good news.
Bad news is CRL has discontinued the VW 21601L window. There may be a few stragglers hanging around in someone’s stock but will be super hard to find as they discontinued this a couple of years ago.

The FW904RS awning window is pretty much the standard used by SMB and works very well. It is still available. Right now, through me, these would be $375 each plus tax will-call pick up in Hayward, LosAngeles, or Seattle. If shipping, add about $50. Be careful if looking at CARDiD website, they will charge excessive shipping on the final screen.

Cheers, Ray
Old 04-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #8

I too am adding driver side window, decided on the CRL awning 19" X 32".
Joe Futrmbl, also added the CRL
flat glass ones on the passenger side 60/40.
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #9

Pop out

I have a side popout out of a 99 passenger if you would like it
Located in New Mexico
Shipping on your dime
Also have door pop outs
Thanks
72broncosob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #10

72broncosob -

Much appreciated-

I think I will go the route advised above and not use an OEM window for the driver side.

All other windows I have on the side/rear I have already converted to pop out.

Thank you!