Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #1

Passenger grab Handle on the A pillar

I recently purchased an E250 which will be getting a total rebuild (It will be gutted and Ill start a thread in the project forum for all to see) and I just put 4wd under it and the increased height from the bigger wheels and tires, lifted axles etc has SIGNIFICANTLY lowered the WAF rating (Wife Acceptance Factor ) but it now looks like it can go somewhere!. Despite the addition of a hoop step on the passenger side, which only marginally improved the WAF, I am still in need of giving my bride an easier entry and exit. The '98 I have doesn't have a grab handle and so I was looking to put a grab handle on the A pillar. Having pulled the trim, I cant see anything that resembles a captive bolt or even a hole for a bolt. Does anybody know if there is a mod for an A pillar grab handle on a 98 E250 or any details at all?

If this is in the wrong forum, please move it to the right place. Just joined!

spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #2

Re: Passenger grab Handle on the A pillar

Welcome to the forum.

Don't be too surprised if one of the moderators moves the post but its no biggie. The important thing is to ask the question.

When you do find a solution please share it. A grab handle has been on my todo list from day one but I haven't found an elegant solution. I bought a handle from Ace Hardware expecting to find a way to mount it but like you found no suitable substrate.
Oops, I should have read a little closer. You were talking about the A-pillar, I thought you meant the B-Pillar.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Welcome.

Thata a tough one. I have the same problem as im sure most of us do. my is a 93 sitting on 33" tires and my wife is 5ft 1in. I will admit its low on my list but it is something i will have to do soon. im suree someone will tell us where to put it.

Keep us posted

Ron
Old 03-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #4

I couldn't live without my grab handles, and I'd like to put one on the driver's side of my F250. Ice cream while camping and a heater has greatly increased the WAF in my family.

This is the clearest photo I have... not sure it helps, but at least you can see what the Ford underneath looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Acolumn.jpg  
Old 03-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #5

Hey Jage. Thanks for the pictures. Is this your F250 or your SMB? what year is it. I cant find those holes on my 98
Old 03-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #6

This, unfortunately, doesn't answer your specific question, but I thought I'd add it.

I have a small dog and am trying to decide between a self-built ramp or some RV steps. Perhaps - small chance, I know - that some of these folding steps could obviate the need for a grab handle.

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/steps.html

That being said, I love grab handles, at least on vehicles...
Old 03-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spomo1
Hey Jage. Thanks for the pictures. Is this your F250 or your SMB? what year is it. I cant find those holes on my 98
That is the passenger side of the 05 SMB. The driver side has the same thing. The problem with the F250 and your van is they didn't have grab handles, so they don't have the anchor nuts... if they did it would be super easy.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #8

Thanks for the update. If I can get the A pillar trip cover from a later van to fit, I think a drill, couple of weld nuts and few sparks might solve this little issue. Ill post the project if I can find the handle and trim in a pick and pull.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #9

I'd try to get away with some really good sized screws. Most of the weight will be sheer, and the base of the handle itself sits against the pillar, which will help with the twisting forces.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #10

There is a product called a “rivnut” like a rivet but different. You drill a hole put the rivnut in like a rivet and then thread a bolt into it. You tighten it with an air ratchet and it clamps itself to the panel like a blind rivet! Now you have a nut wherever you need one. You can probably find them at any bodyshop that fixes highway trucks. Freightliner uses them right from the factory.