Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #11

Re: Passenger side grab handle write up-

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Dude! You rock! I need to put one on the driver's side. Once you do a lift of some sort, even the minimum 4 inch required for 4x4 the driver tends to start using the steering wheel to climb aboard.
Yeah thats why I got it, for her to step up into the van was a big thing.

Quote:
: Where did you get the bracket? Is bolted on the donor vehicle or did you have to cut up a donor vehicle A pillar?
I got the bracket from a junk yard. You dont have to cut up the donor vehicle, but you do need to get the jack nuts from your local fastener supplier.

Quote:
: Do you think the passenger side bracket can be flipped. (But then I would have to Dremmel out the holes in my existing trim.)
Its possible, Id have to have the bracket in hand and line it up with trim holes on the driver side to be sure. There are vans with driver side grab bars, so you could always look for one in a junk yard. And using a dremmel to cut out the trim would be pretty easy if it didnt have the trim.

good luck

hammerhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #12

Excellent idea and install
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #13

Well done!
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #14

Great how-to. This has been on my list to do for a while, but I haven't gotten out to a junkyard since last fall.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:22 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Indeed great write up, exactly as I try to do or would have wanted when I was a new E-Series owner---well done!

The only thing I'd personally do (if I didn't already have the factory version of these.) would be to use a split body rivet nut ie: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=rz3au0 These are a bit stronger, have a larger footprint behind the sheet metal of the A Pillar giving a better attachment IMHO.

Being in the auto glass biz your advice about careful swings when center punching the drill holes is very, very wise.

Thanks for the effort all this took!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #16

JWA,

I considered them, but I didn't want to have to use the rivet gun, Im not sure where mine is, and these were very quick and easy. I believe that since there are three of them, unless i lift and engine from it, it should stay put.

Thanks for the compliments. I had read somewhere either on this forum or another of people being hesitant to work on the A pillar. Its not that big a deal, but thats why I wrote it.

Another note I wanted to pass along;

On other cars, you may want to use a "peel and peak" technique of looking under the trim to make sure that there are no airbag sensors etc there, but in these vans Im fairly certain that even the new ones are devoid of this technology in the A pillars. But as always its good practice to treat the airbag with some respect. Don't place things on top of it just incase it happens to blow when your working there. I don't want to sound overly cautious, but there is a lot of safety tech(seatbelt gas cylinders etc) out there if you decide to take this idea and work on another car. Also wear your safety glasses so you don't get metal frags in your eye

"mom" rant over, return to your regular program
Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #17
Site Team

Not sure if SMB, or other conversion companies run wires up the passenger side A pillar, but they frequently will at least on the drivers side A pillar, so people should be extra careful before drilling there, and with mounting bolts/screws.

Herb
Old 05-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #18
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhome
JWA,

I considered them, but I didn't want to have to use the rivet gun, Im not sure where mine is, and these were very quick and easy. I believe that since there are three of them, unless i lift and engine from it, it should stay put.

Thanks for the compliments. I had read somewhere either on this forum or another of people being hesitant to work on the A pillar. Its not that big a deal, but thats why I wrote it.

Another note I wanted to pass along;

On other cars, you may want to use a "peel and peak" technique of looking under the trim to make sure that there are no airbag sensors etc there, but in these vans Im fairly certain that even the new ones are devoid of this technology in the A pillars. But as always its good practice to treat the airbag with some respect. Don't place things on top of it just incase it happens to blow when your working there. I don't want to sound overly cautious, but there is a lot of safety tech(seatbelt gas cylinders etc) out there if you decide to take this idea and work on another car. Also wear your safety glasses so you don't get metal frags in your eye

"mom" rant over, return to your regular program
Mom rants are always good---I too preach the gospel of working safe, especially when it comes to the eyes!

FWIW the rivet nuts I linked can be set with standard bolts---no rivet gun required.

Good job and again thanks for you effort documenting this process!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #19

I opt for this kind of tool for center punching vs swinging a hammer in most cases...

http://www.amazonsupply.com/general-too ... B00004T7RH
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
I opt for this kind of tool for center punching vs swinging a hammer in most cases...

http://www.amazonsupply.com/general-too ... B00004T7RH
Yes I think that would be a good tool use, Im not sure I still have mine. Its been a few years since I worked as a contractor, some of my tool whereabouts are unknown. As it was, I relied on muscle memory from swinging a hammer and still was very cautious. I would recommend that spring punch, they are great tools, thanks MG.