Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #1

Race van builds?

Hi all,

Brand new to the forum. Looking to pick up an E350 this week to make a dedicated race hauler for 15-20 track weekends a year. Will typically on carry one bike and the scooter, but will occasionally carry both racebikes and the scooter (on a hitch-mounted Mototote).

Currently brainstorming on a modular bed setup that will take up minimal space when not deployed, but be as close to a "real" bed as possible. The current setup idea leaves about 66 x 40 of open space in front of the bikes. The bikes won't be in the van at night (I love the Ducati, but not that much), so the "free space" is where I'd need it to rest in the travel config (along with a bunch of miscellaneous race gear).

So. . .any ideas?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #2

I cant see the pic you posted (at work) but there are a few iterations of this sliding bed frame. For the mattress part, you could make two cushions that fit the bed together and stack when not in bed mode.

The bed is almost at the end of the page on the link below...

alternative layout DIY build. - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum
Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

I really liked this concept for its usability. Needs a little refinement to be truly awesome.

Transformer seating solution - Expedition Portal
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #4

Hmmm, the pic isn't working for me, either. Let's see if this works.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I really liked this concept for its usability. Needs a little refinement to be truly awesome.

Transformer seating solution - Expedition Portal
That's a really cool idea; thanks for the link!

I think I just had a Eureka moment while walking the dog a few minutes ago, and sent it to two of my fabrication guys. If they say it's doable, I'll post up details and the build process.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:52 AM   #6

I've got an EB with a 4 person bench (behind driver/passenger) that folds out to a full size bed.
when the bench is up it fits 2 bikes in the back, like your image and the green part is the bench. There's a little more room behind the rear wheels too.

If you don't already have em, get some pop out rear/side windows too.
2001chromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001chromo View Post
I've got an EB with a 4 person bench (behind driver/passenger) that folds out to a full size bed.
when the bench is up it fits 2 bikes in the back, like your image and the green part is the bench. There's a little more room behind the rear wheels too.

If you don't already have em, get some pop out rear/side windows too.
Yeah, rear ventilation is going to be a thing, for sure. I had about two gallons left in a gas can on the way home last Sunday, and it was terrible. I'm thinking about some solar-powered plumbing vents (Ultra-Fab Mini Solar Vent Fan - Attic/Plumbing - WHITE - Trailer Cargo RV - NEW | eBay) on the roof, so that the fans are always pulling air out when I'm driving.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowega View Post
Yeah, rear ventilation is going to be a thing, for sure. I had about two gallons left in a gas can on the way home last Sunday, and it was terrible. I'm thinking about some solar-powered plumbing vents (Ultra-Fab Mini Solar Vent Fan - Attic/Plumbing - WHITE - Trailer Cargo RV - NEW | eBay) on the roof, so that the fans are always pulling air out when I'm driving.
I hear you.....I'm not carrying moto gas inside the van anymore....I picked up a rotopax and mount....but my rear bumper setup isn't done so that's a bit hard to haul at the moment. I've been using my buddies' gas and then paying for refilling the cans on the drive home.

I've also mounted an aluminess tray thing to a hitch mount to haul gas, chain lube, oil, etc. but I'm mostly carrying the moto on a hitch hauler so that's not working out either.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #9

Mine is a dedicated "moto-van" for hauling my flat track race bikes. Sorry, no photos on hand at the moment...)
It's an EB with a solid, sealed dividing wall just aft of the side barn doors. I can haul two bikes, an ez-up, tools, cooler, gear, fuel, etc. easily in the "garage".
Ahead of the wall there is a passenger bench seat that folds into a bed. I'm 6'2" and can sleep comfortably at an angle across the bed. My wife and I together, it's tight.

IMHO, if your primary use is carrying motorcycles, and especially if there will be race gas in the van you should consider a dividing wall between the passenger cabin and the "garage".
I have a small solar powered fan similar to what you posted that's always circulating air in the garage and have no issues with fumes in the passenger compartment. I don't think you could pull that off without the wall however.
motoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #10

I have been road racing for 25 years and outside the sprinter, the E350 rocks!! The upside to the Ford is that when it needs repaired, it doesn't take $2,000 every time. I just sold my Sprinter and am going back to the E350.

Search threads started under my user name for the for sale thread I had on my old V10. I was racing the Duc 1199 at the time and using the Pitbull system.

Currently, running the 1299 and have a scooter also. I plan to buy three plates and arrange to be on both sides and the middle. This is for when I haul just the bike for whatever reason and can put in the middle.

E-Track and replacing the floor is a needed thing. I always felt we had a good enough setup that I could literally roll the van and the bikes be in their initial spot all secured to the floor. DO NOT use self tapping or wood screws. Drill through, silicone and use fender washers or plates like we did.

I have some pics and will be doing a build again once I get the new to me van. Stay in touch!
Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote