Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #1

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Great mod...

-----------------

I would not worry too much about the 215 temp. The engine is designed to tolerate moderate overheating higher than that. We often test up to 230/240 in the lab I work at.

One caution, in colder climates, diesel engine have a hard time heating up. I would pull the 'scoop' out in freezeing climates. Ask anyone in winter climates how long it takes to get heat from the PSD 6.0L

----------------

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #2

scatter:
nice job,
have you considered doing a hood scoop? and if yes, curious as to why not that route?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #3

This is quite interesting. I have the stock bumper, and the fan only comes on in places like Death Valley going uphill, or the VERY steep Old Priest Grade going up to Yosemite; it's like 2-3 miles of 15-20MPH hill. So yah, it sounds like your bumper/winch have affected it, and that you've found a solution.

I was thinking of doing something kinda similar, but a scoop further back that direct the air up one side of the doghouse (driver's side), hopefully pushing more hot air back down the other side and out underneath the van. While I've kicked the idea around, what I don't know is how the regular airflow is back there, and I'd hate to put in something to literally fight the natural airflow tendency.

What ya need to do is have the scoop "auto-lower" with a screw drive of some type, and have that actuated by the temperature! I leave it to Buji to get that knocked out and designed for the rest of us... Buj, it's all you.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:17 AM   #4

Yeah, I wasn't worried about the 215 degrees, I was just gettin bugged with the electric fan coming on all the time. Sounds like an afterburner.... As far as winter driving goes, I'll have to keep an eye on the temps and see how it goes. I think it will be alright as I THINK I'm just getting the airflow back to normal Time will tell.
I didn't go with a hood scoop as I felt I needed more air directly on the radiator and I didn't want to get into a bunch of body work. Might be worth a try though. Someone gonna do it???
Kzemach, don't you just love the old Priest Grade? We lived in Sonora for years and I drove that thing daily for a year.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #5

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
You have a great mod...but at 5MPH and hill climbing I'm not sure if your get much more air. I look forward to a test report!

You might also look into quieting the fan. Often the mounts will rattle and a little support will stiffen it up. It might also be a little out of balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Yeah, I wasn't worried about the 215 degrees, I was just gettin bugged with the electric fan coming on all the time. Sounds like an afterburner.... As far as winter driving goes, I'll have to keep an eye on the temps and see how it goes. I think it will be alright as I THINK I'm just getting the airflow back to normal Time will tell.
I didn't go with a hood scoop as I felt I needed more air directly on the radiator and I didn't want to get into a bunch of body work. Might be worth a try though. Someone gonna do it???
Kzemach, don't you just love the old Priest Grade? We lived in Sonora for years and I drove that thing daily for a year.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #6

I'll be heading to Baja in a couple of weeks. That should be a decent test of the lower speed and crawling around. As I mentioned, when we did the Lippencott and other areas in Saline and Death Valleys where I was crawling in low range, the fan only came on a couple of times.
Baja will be the real test, but so far, so good.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #7

Hood scoop

I thought of a hood scoop, but I think it might let in too much water.. I put louvers in the hood and on the side front fenders. I also put a scoop under the bumper..

JM
Old 10-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #8

Fan

My fan must be screwed up.. Sometimes it comes on in the morning. Talk about a long time to warm up! The fan is run by the ECM so I don't know how to troubleshoot it. I don't have the patience for the Dealer.

JM
Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #9

[/quote]My fan must be screwed up.. Sometimes it comes on in the morning. Talk about a long time to warm up! The fan is run by the ECM so I don't know how to troubleshoot it. I don't have the patience for the Dealer.
Quote:

Do you have a Scangauge? So you can tell the temp the fan comes on at. My normal temp is 190. Sometimes (depending on load/throttle position) the fan will come on slow at 198, sometimes not until 215. By 220/225 the fan is on at full roar.

If you are thinking your fan is coming on too early, you should have some accurate way to check water temp. The factory gauge doesn't move from 175-225. But the computer gets accurate readings, which the Scangauge can access and display. Maybe your thermostat is sticking, and the first place to look would be water temp.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #10

Engine fan

Mike I thought the factory programmed the fan to come on at 215.

Mine comes on (sometimes) when the engine is cold, less than 100 degrees.

I have a ScanGage... The fan comes on anytime it feels like it.

190,200,215,227. Anytime theres a slight grade it hits 215.

It sounds like, from other post, the fan does come on alot.

When the fans on full it seems like I lose 40 horsepower.

I still want to take off the front bumper and see what happens...

Take care

JM