Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #1

Rain Gutter Repair: 3M 5200 vs 4000UV vs …?

Hey guys

As I‘m about to finish my paint I got to reseal the gutter.

Reading across a few threads I found 3M 5200 and 4000UV are mainly used.
Reading some TDS and infos I found the following:

Cures slower (more time to flow, but could also flow too much/ fast cure available) in general stiffer/ higher modulus, available in black (carbon black reduces UV penetration).

Faster cure, softer, lower modulus, only white.
I‘m a bit afraid that it‘s so soft that my gutter brackets will be pushed in too much and therefore cause cracks…

For both:
polyurethane (?) and therefore chemistry based more prone to UV degradation than SMP

Do you have long term experience? Other proposals?

E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:03 PM   #2

Both of those are sealant / adhesives. You should be using a seam sealer on the gutter. I used 3M Self-Leveling Seam Sealer, 08307. Works great, but I only did a section, so self leveling was perfect, if doing the whole gutter I'd pick the non self-leveling version since the gutter changes angles over the length and has no way to dam/catch/stop the stuff running out, at the front.

But if you are worried about UV on the products you listed, you could always paint it, I painted the 08307 I used.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:35 PM   #3

I used Dicor self leveling sealant.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:50 PM   #4

When filling all the gutter around your van with your preferred sealant, how full do you top off the gutter?
Like how the factory did it, or to the edge/rim of the gutter to minimize ponding when parked off level.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:08 PM   #5

Didn‘t think about it yet. I guess like 80% and then it‘ll automatically flow up the edges a bit.
I guess the main challenge will be to not have it flowing out upfront while still maintaining a nice „non stop“ line all around. Let‘s see.

If there‘d just be something light fixable I‘d a grab an LED lamp, but there isn‘t [emoji23]
Old 09-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #6

Ok, finally decided to go for the 3M Heavy Bodied Seam Sealer in white.
Epoxies are surely more UV resistant and I like the fact to have a stiffer material carrying the roof rack.

Does anyone know how much I need for the full gutter?
Old 09-12-2022, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
Ok, finally decided to go for the 3M Heavy Bodied Seam Sealer in white.
Epoxies are surely more UV resistant and I like the fact to have a stiffer material carrying the roof rack.

Does anyone know how much I need for the full gutter?
Good choice, on the 3M since it mixes as you squeeze it out of the gun, make sure to get the appropriate gun that can take the 3M sized cartridges. I ponied up for the 3M manual squeeze gun and I have to say it worked beautifully. So much nicer than any other squeeze type gun I have used in the past.

OK, I just looked up what I bought, I paid $60 not the ~$80 it's currently listed at.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QWYG1O/

As for how many, looking at the self leveling I used, I would say 2 should do it, but that's a TOTAL guess. Maybe 3 to be on the safe side.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:31 PM   #8

Ok, will calculate the volume by length/ depth/ width.

For the gun… I will get a pneumatic gun and hope the 3M cartridge fits in. I‘m working for an adhesive manufacturer, but I‘m home in consumer electronics :-)
Our manual should work, the pneumatic we‘ll see ^^
Old 09-12-2022, 09:52 PM   #9

You will definitely need three tubes. I did mine and two was almost but not quite enough for the entire gutter.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote