Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmobile View Post
Is the hardware a cinch to replace water tight?

Yes. ...and I would use 18-8 stainless hardware when replacing...the butyl tape is readily available from McMaster. I also used stainless sealing washers available from Mcmaster for further robustness.

The above would be an improvement of SMB west's work from the tops I've played with.

Removing/Replacing the hardware should be an easy job...you'll need access to the roof topside and the inside the van on the underside; likely two people to get everything tightened up.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #32

Thanks a bunch for replies and suggestions. Spraying over definitely seems like a bad idea, but my wife disagrees, and doesn't fully trust my judgment on these type of things. Hopefully the confirmation from others with experience will sway her.
surfmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpyramids View Post
Dude- thanks for your poptop scavenging thread. I learned alot and it really helped me. Im using some McMaster EPDM - Part 1142A78Weather-Resistant Rubber Seal Flange-Mount, Hollow, 2" Overall Width, 1/2" High, 50 ft. Length

Mcmaster part on left vs brand new SMB replacement on right.
Hey, what fasteners did you use for that replacement seal, and did you use the original holes? Also, how has the seal performed? Thanks.
tbrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #34

same question as them ^ <bump>
natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie View Post
same question as them ^ <bump>
Which them? What's the question again?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #36

For tbthrasher/86Scotty - what fasteners (supplier/part number, length, how many, spacing, etc ?), which fasteners (for McMaster rubber gasket) did you use to attach new gasket to fiberglass PH top ?

All these steps and procedures much appreciated - GREAT Forum topics !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #37

Raptor liner/new T-nuts on penthouse top

My 04 EB 50 penthouse top lost it's clear coat years ago. Finally pulled the trigger on raptor liner as the best solution. +$$$$ saved was well worth the effort.
Bought the tintable version and used the Ford paint code for Baja Tan/Desert Tan to get an expensive pint of tint. Decided to roll vs spray to minimize prep time...but added application time...of course.
Replaced the original Fresno roof hardware with the nicely engineered T-nuts found on this forum.
Used 150/220 grit to rough up the old paint and remove residual clear coat, rolled 2 coats overall( texture is fine) and a third coat over the hardware.
Since I was up there, replaced the 16yr old rubber gasket and plastic rivets (thanks to Nancy at SMB Indiana!). Waiting for my new Sportsmobile logo decal and some plastic caps and we're looking good again
JeffO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:29 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
My 04 EB 50 penthouse top lost it's clear coat years ago. Finally pulled the trigger on raptor liner as the best solution. +$$$$ saved was well worth the effort.
Did the exact same ^^^ a couple of years ago, but went back and added the Raptor liner to the top of the van roof as well. On my top the penthouse was rubbing the paint off the top of the van, so I used the rest of the Raptor to coat the drip rail and up about another 3" (where the top rests). It's been about 8,000 miles since and looks like the Raptor is holding up well.

Cheers!
Old 08-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #39

I sprayed my top a couple summers ago with Raptorliner, tinted to match the Baja Tan. It came out well and I'm happy with it. The tint didn't match perfectly but I think that was because of the small batch of paint that was tinted just a little off, and the van body paint had faded slightly in 13 years. The gel coat was cracked and the clear coat was peeling badly before I sprayed it so I did a fair amount of repair work to the top first.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 6.20.03 PM.jpg  
Old 08-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railvan View Post
I sprayed my top a couple summers ago with Raptorliner, tinted to match the Baja Tan. It came out well and I'm happy with it. The tint didn't match perfectly but I think that was because of the small batch of paint that was tinted just a little off, and the van body paint had faded slightly in 13 years. The gel coat was cracked and the clear coat was peeling badly before I sprayed it so I did a fair amount of repair work to the top first.
You've probably nailed the reason for your paint not completely matching but I will offer this for anyone who reads this in the future. Paint quality matters! There are only a few popular automotive paints out there and most paint suppliers just have one or two that they sell/mix in my experience. My local guy is great and his 'affordable' paint is Nason, if I have the name right. His top tier is Dupont. I used Nason on my first SMB top Raptor job (Rusty) and it didn't match great. Later tops I used Dupont and it matched better as well as being much more forgiving and easier to use. The cost difference wasn't huge, maybe $100?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote