Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: RB vs. EB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89srule
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
It does seem to be harder to find an RB used.

Rob
That must be a location thing. It took me many more months to find an EB. If you need the interior space EB's the only way to go. Space is the reason I bought a van vs. a Suburban or Excursion.
Not only does the EB give extra length inside it also does under the van and that should be taken into consideration. I have the Starcool that grabs extra space, but heaters, extra batteries and air compressors are just some of the items you need to find a spot for. I wasn't sure about the beds but thought I was able to get a longer bed by ordering the EB but wasn't sure and why I asked. I'm not saying that it matters with a used van but if you're planning to add equipment down the road you'll need to know if it can be fit in.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #12

An extended was required for my project so I didn't even consider a regular length. The extra space that came with the extended has been very useful; I can never have too much space. Since I don't go off-road or use it as a daily driver the longer the better. A limo-style stretch would be great as far as I'm concerned.

Many Sprinter conversions I see at RV shows and also on road are the longer 22- to 24-foot-long chassis. Given a choice many buyers seem to prefer as big a van as possible as long as they are not going off-road. The same applies to Winnebago going with longest ProMaster to build their new Travato.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #13

I've ben towing since 2003 with EBs and no issues. (18" car trailer+car, box trailer etc)

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #14

Garage

I like the RB for getting in and out of parking lots, and turning around at the end of the road.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage

I know the OP didn’t state whether or not he was looking for a 4x4 but I've been taking trails that would be considered difficult for a van since 2005 and haven't had much trouble. Most off road travel that any van can do safely is usually something that can be negotiated with an EB. But the amount of lift also comes into play. Obviously switch backs can be taken better with an RB but most vans are hindered by the width of the trail and overhead obstructions. Even with the off roading that I do, I still wouldn't trade in for a RB. If you're planning to lift the van 10" and stick 37 or larger tires under it to do trails harder than the Rubicon an RB might be a good choice.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I know the OP didn’t state whether or not he was looking for a 4x4 but I've been taking trails that would be considered difficult for a van since 2005 and haven't had much trouble. Most off road travel that any van can do safely is usually something that can be negotiated with an EB. But the amount of lift also comes into play. Obviously switch backs can be taken better with an RB but most vans are hindered by the width of the trail and overhead obstructions. Even with the off roading that I do, I still wouldn't trade in for a RB. If you're planning to lift the van 10" and stick 37 or larger tires under it to do trails harder than the Rubicon an RB might be a good choice.
Up in the PNW here we have some very steep narrow trails and switchbacks, and the wheelbase can be an issue, but that's the same on RB vs EB....

Old 03-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #17

I've backed into a BMW at a trailhead and my wife took out the garage door backing up. With an aluminess tire rack and box on the back I'm glad I have an RB.

The difference is only 2 extra feet, no?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
I've backed into a BMW at a trailhead and my wife took out the garage door backing up. With an aluminess tire rack and box on the back I'm glad I have an RB.

My brain says 20" but I could be wrong.

That's why I have a backup camera.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC

My brain says 20" but I could be wrong.

That's why I have a backup camera.
For a 2014 van it's just under: 216.7 inches vs 236.4 inches
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH

What effects me more is a rock wall doing a 6+ point turn. That 20" does make a slight difference. Of course the big box on the back makes it even worse but at least I have a good turning radius with a SMB build. I also barely fit on my car port. That was something I didn't figure in when I ordered the van...thought I was in trouble but it fit by about 15"