Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #11

My wife and I have been looking at Sportsmobiles for several years. Juggling the cost vs how much time we have available to use it. We were sure we were going to get the RB 50. Now I am thinking about an EB 51. My thought is that I might be able to put two mountain bikes ahead of the doors and behind the bed, in order to keep the bikes inside instead of on the trailer hitch or on the roof. The front wheels would be removed and a couple of bike tights screwed to a piece of plywood for a make shift bike rack. Has anyone tried this? thanks. oclv

oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #12

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
I vote for eb.

As the owner of a 12 YO EB20 modified (which I love), my new SMB will be a RB55 in a EB or maybe a Tranformer

I like the extra space, but not the extra weight of empty cabinet when not camping. I would also delete the stove/furnace and add an extra battery. i like to grill, so an inside stove is nice but not mandatory

I also prefer the GM EB as the longer wheelbase is better all around.

As for parking...you'll be eyeballing the spots in the back of the parking lot with either the EB or RB. The issue is width, not length. Although I do hit curbs with the rear wheels a lot...

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
My wife and I have been looking at Sportsmobiles for several years. Juggling the cost vs how much time we have available to use it. We were sure we were going to get the RB 50. Now I am thinking about an EB 51. My thought is that I might be able to put two mountain bikes ahead of the doors and behind the bed, in order to keep the bikes inside instead of on the trailer hitch or on the roof. The front wheels would be removed and a couple of bike tights screwed to a piece of plywood for a make shift bike rack. Has anyone tried this? thanks. oclv
If you removed the front wheels, it should be possible to fit two MTBs behind the bed of an EB. The extra space versus an RB is something like 18-20 inches. Not a huge amount so the entire space would be filled by the bikes. I used to regularly put one MTB with the front wheel on in the back of our EB-51, but decided it was not an efficient use of space. Got a locking hitch rack and have been using that for the past year instead. Much better IMHO with the rear space now free for other stuff. Good luck.
Rob
Old 01-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #14

Thanks for the good thoughts. We were going to order a new "all window" cargo van and have Sportsmobile do the full conversion, but it looks like there might not be enough time between now and my vacation spot in May. We might end up getting a used one on the sportsmobile site. Will have to order this week if we still decide to go that route. oclv
Old 01-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
Thanks for the good thoughts. We were going to order a new "all window" cargo van and have Sportsmobile do the full conversion, but it looks like there might not be enough time between now and my vacation spot in May. We might end up getting a used one on the sportsmobile site. Will have to order this week if we still decide to go that route. oclv
May would probably be a challenge. What is the SMB backlog right now?

Herb
Old 01-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #16

I think they told me around 12 weeks, if I am doing 4x4. One other thought I had was do get the van, take it to Salem Kroger for the 4x4. do the vacation, then drop it off at SMB on the way back with the inside mods and top. Or we could buy one from their list, but they don't usually get window vans that aren't passenger vans. oclv