Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
RB Vs. EB

Hello all!
My wife and I have decided on a floor plan!!! (thanks Jeff )) Now my wife is urging me to get the EB instead of an RB. What do you guys think. We will most likely order the SMB 4x4. How is the parking situation on the EB's? This will be my 2nd rig and I would probably dirve a couple times a week to work. Should I conform to my wife's wish and opt for an EB? We have a little one and my wife feels we need the space and storage.

Jage and all of you EB'ers,
How do you like your EB? Are they that different or difficult to drive and park? MPG? (We will also probobly choose the V10)

Thanks, -Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #2

My wife too pushed me to an EB and as she often points out, was right. I'm glad we went the EB route. The extra space is important to us. We are a family of four (two boys 11 & 13) and it can get pretty tight when we are all inside at once. I don't find parking a problem either.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #3

Dito on the EB, extra storage. I debated this one for some time and decided we werent going to do any extreme four wheelin with our $ 100,000 camper. Well when the newness wears off you would be suprised where youll go in these things. No regrets on the V10 or the EB.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #4

One more happy vote for the EB. With the bumpers and whatnot I think the difference is minimal. Biggest concern with the EB and 4x4 for me are departure angle in the rear, and the tendency for the rear suspension to sag, which drives me NUTS when I see it.

You can either add more leafs to the rear springs (harsher ride) or supplement with air springs. I did both.

BTW- I've had several people ask me why I DIDN'T get the extended body. The 4x4 upfit makes the rear look smaller, I guess.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Site Team

As long as you're not going to do a lot of way off the beaten track, mega-boulder, offroading, go with the EB.

With either RB or EB, a backup camera is a GREAT investment for around town parking.

Herb
Old 10-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #6

I'm thankful we went with the RB whenever we find ourselves doing 3-point (or 5- or 7-point) turnarounds on narrow backcountry trails with trees or rocks on the side. It also helps a bit for fitting into parking spaces.

If you're not into driving that kind of 4x4 trail, they an EB will be fine, and the extra room sure sounds nice!

Once you've driven the van for a day or so, it gets to be very natural. Surprisingly easy to park. You'll drive with confidence and forget you're piloting a monster van.

-- Geoff
Old 10-10-2007, 05:20 AM   #7

With kids, pets and gear, the "extra space" in our EB sure fills up quickly. Don't know how I'd get fully packed if we had an RB.

Rob
Old 10-12-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
Site Team

One other considereration is how much and how often you plan to tow. The RB is better for towing, in that the tow point (hitch) is closer to the rear axle, thereby making the van and trailer less subject to swaying with respect to each other. Regardless, with my EB I tow an 18' trailer with a total weight of nearly 7,000lbs, and so far, no problems though I take it easy when towing. If we had bought new, we would likely have gone with the RB for this consideration.

Herb
Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 PM   #9

Extra kid = extra storage. Go with the EB Ray! That said, we have hit our rear bumper already on a steep downhill ravine crossing...if we had an EB I think we'd still be hung up there on the rear bumper!

98% of the time we're on a paved or flat gravel road...it's that 2% that steered me to get a the RB.

Congrats on pullin' the trigger on yoru family's SMB. We just got back from a camp trip to Emma Wood in Ventura...it was awesome.

Cheers,
Jeff

Ps: The v10 is a gas p-i-g. I had a Ford F350 1-ton stake bed at work that got a routine 7 mpg in town, 10 highway at 65mph. Our 6.0 gets 10 in town & 15 on the open road...with a rack.
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonclan
Congrats on pullin' the trigger on yoru family's SMB. We just got back from a camp trip to Emma Wood in Ventura...it was awesome.
Emma Wood, good choice. Right off the freeway, but a world away at the same time.

Herb